Spigot : where to install?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the spigot but as said low enough where the bucket will still sit flat on a table without the spout touching the table.

Good info thanks! I might also put a curved tube inside like others here posted to avoid tilting the bucket.

I don't worry about the spout on the spigot touching a level surface. It'll be hanging just over the edge anyway. When I cut the hole for my spigot in my bottling bucket,the botton of the mounting hole is about1" from the very bottom of the outside of the bucket. I show it in one of my gadget videos on my youtube channel (unionrdr's chanel).

I don't worry about the spout on the spigot touching a level surface.

You can mount the spigot in the bottom of the bucket if thats what you want. I put my spigot back in the hole for storage. Stores easier if the spigot doesn't hang down or I have to worry about cocking it so the bucket sits flat on the shelf.

It's still a little ways up off the bottom,but closer than my fermenter spigots,as there's no trub/yeast to be concerned with. Save for the lil bit of grainy stuff that settle on the bottom with the couple TBSP of beer left at the end.
I just turn the spigot horizontal for storage. Which for me is the back of the fermenter stand,so it's not like it's getting bumped around the garage or anything.

it's still a little ways up off the bottom,but closer than my fermenter spigots,as there's no trub/yeast to be concerned with. Save for the lil bit of grainy stuff that settle on the bottom with the couple tbsp of beer left at the end.
I just turn the spigot horizontal for storage. Which for me is the back of the fermenter stand,so it's not like it's getting bumped around the garage or anything.

+1

I never tough of adding a plastic spigot to a fermenter because of the air leak risk. Am I worrying too much?

Yeah. you just have to make sure the spigot is sealed well without over-tightening them,or they leak. All my fermenters have spigots to make sampling,etc easier.

Well I never thought of adding a spigot to the bottom. :p I'm serious. Why not if you have a stable surface to rest most of the bucket on?

Not a fan of them on my ferment bucket because its just one more thing to clean and worry about leaking. Dad likes them on his, whatever floats your boat.

On his when I drill the holes I measure up 2 inches to the center of the hole. That is just for the ferment buckets tho.

Back