Spigot on my fv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doghouse-gav

Reaction score
My fv has a spigot fitted to it. I want to bottle straight from this but read lots about moving it first into a second fv to bottle. I understand that's because you don't want all the crap at the bottom being dragged through the spigot into the bottles. I have a youngs fv and the spigot it quite high up. About 4 inches from the bottom so I don't think any crap would get pulled into my bottles. Am I safe??

I use a bucket with a spigot and it works great. Very little sediment gets transferred while moving the beer to the bottling bucket. You'll love it.

NRS

My Cooper's FV has the spigot a couple inches from the bottom. When the beer is allowed to finish cleaning up,it mostly settles out below the bottom of the spigot. My beer goes into the bottle just a lil hazy. I figured that's enough yeast to carb up/condition for a few weeks.
Having a tap at the right level is great.

The reason a lot of people advocate the separate bottling bucket is for bulk priming, which is adding sugar syrup to the whole batch, then bottling. This isn't advisable in the primary vessel, as all the yeast and trub will be resuspended if you try to mix the sugar in. If you're priming the bottles individually, with carbonation drops or similar, then you can bottle straight from the primary vessel as long as you're careful not to disturb the sediment.

Back