Spigot height in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am finally getting around to adding spigots to my carboys. Just can't stand to use the autosiphon one more time. Couple of questions:

1. What height, from the bottom of the carboy to the center of the hole, do you guys have your's at?
  2. How did you drill your hole (if you did it yourself)? I've got step bits and hole saws here, I figure one is better than the other.

I think I want it a little higher than the highest expected trub/hop crap. Then I can just tip it a little forward if the trub is well under the spigot. Thoughts?

BTW, I bought the spigots below on Amazon and I'm mounting then into plastic Big Mouth Bubblers. Hope the dumb bubble pattern doesn't affect the seal.

I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G8WD4LY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

upload_2019-1-31_12-57-36.png

Last edited:
The dumb bubble pattern has nothing to do with the seal as you only need one gasket on the outside. And you answered your own question about how high up, just do them a little higher up than expected trub. Just remember that you measure from the bottom of the hole, not center, as where the exptected trub ends. A step bit is easy peasy since you're dealing with thin plastic.

So to close the loop on this, I put the spigots at the 1g marker on the carboy. These Big Mouth Bubblers have markers for the gallon increments. I started the hole right on the 1g marker.

I made two beers. The dry-hopped IPA is shown. The trub line was just under the spigot, so I got very little trub into the keg. I also made a wheat beer which had very little trub. For those, I just tilted the carboy towards the spigot and ended up still capturing all the beer.

ONE NOTE: I used a large unibit "step bit" that worked great for 5 of them. But on one, the bit tore the plastic when it got to the wider diameter ring. Using a step bit is still probably the best choice, but I recommend spraying water or starsan solution around the cutting area. It might be my imagination, but I think this made a big difference and helped avoid the ripping.

upload_2019-5-4_16-35-38.png

Back