"spicy" yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StusBrew

Reaction score
So...Tried a honey smoked pale ale. Loved it. Pretty tasty. Got a new guy interested in brewing. He now wants to work together on stuff and told him about this pale ale I tried. I gave him my idea of together we could do 10 gallons total. He'd do extract or partial extract. I'd do all-grain. He would use a neutral yeast or maybe a Brittish strain. And I was thinking of one of those Belgian strains of yeast. Problem is, not sure which one.
This beer will be the first iteration of course. Initially got a recipe together. But gonna tweak it a little more. Basically, about rauchmalt, how much honey and then to balance with hops. Base style of course is pale ale.
But wondering about Wyeast yeast strains. Any help. I've looked at a few on-line at website and can't nail it down. Plan is for an OG of 1.055 or a little lower.

Well, I would approach it like this. Do a pale ale with mild hops saaz williamette etc... and find a yeast you like first. You want the low malt low hop so you can get a good judge of the yeast profile. you can do a 1gal batch. Then using a real neutral yeast SA-05 build up the smoke you want and hops you want. Again, 1gal batch. Then I'd hop into the the full deal. You don't want to brew up a big batch of spicy smoke only to find the yeast is way too funky for your taste and the smoke you used too much and have a burnt plastic beer now. (please don't ask how I know this)

hmmm....You're begging me to ask!!
Leaning towards light end of rauchmalt. 4 - 6 oz. or so. Well, had a rauchsbier brewed by neighbor. I thought it was great! So I figure about .5 lb. or less. The sticky part I'm at is honey. I've heard 1 pound. But I've also heard that if add at last 5 minutes of boil. Not really much honey. Volatized basically. The one I tried I thought was very well balanced. It was a hint of everything basically. You could tell this guy worked on it! Trying to keep it KISS! 2-row. some rauchmalt. some honey. some hops. yeast. It'll be definitely dry. It'll be about a month to brew this. So gonna work on it and talk more with the LHBS about it.

Back