Spicy off taste during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandita9

Reaction score
Hi, I just put into fermenting bucket a milkshake IPA. It has a wierd spicy taste. Before boiling the taste was perfect. My recipe was the following:
  • pale malt 2 row
  • abbey malt
  • biscuit malt
  • wheat malt
  • oat flakes
  • lactose (end of the boil)
  • 21 g warrior (60 min)
  • 85g citra (0 min)
  • 85g mosaic (0 min)
After cooling, I could taste the spiciness. Where it can come from? I am just at the beginning of the fermentation, and I am just before adding hops and mango. Does it worth to continue the fermenting, or I can't rid of that taste? This beer cost a lot, and I dont want to waste any money. Thanks for all the advice.

So before boil it was fine and you have not added the citra and mosaic even though they say 0 minute which usually means end of boil? Basically you are just tasting sugar water with all the bitterness from the Warrior hops right now, you probably had a lot of hop particles in the sample you took. It will be fine. Once it ferments and all the hop particles settle, the beer will be much better, plus carbonation is a flavor factor also. Just an FYI, with all those hops added as dry hops, it will taste "hot" after fermentation for few weeks until all the hop particles settle. Usually when I keg IPA's, I need to let them sit for two weeks and pour off a couple pints that have hops floating it in...before it's really drinkable.

Thanks for the answer. I think, you are right. Actually it has a much better taste, I think it will turn out great at the end :D

Back