Spicy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amedelman

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying to make a spicy beer, with hot sauce or peppers to give it a kick. Does anyone have a recipe for something like this?

I wouldn't use hot sauce, as many of them have vinegar, spices, or preservatives in them. As far as peppers, there have been several threads on them. From what I understand it's hard to know how much to use as they vary so much.

The alaskan bootleggers bible has a recipe in it. id suggest looking there.

It's really basic though, and is all extract, iirc

I made one with serranos and ghost pepper-infused vodka that turned out nice. The good thing about adding infused vodka is that it can be added at bottling, which allows you to go easy on the pepper at first. You avoid overdoing it and still hedge against not going far enough.

I did a chocolate coffee chili stout with 3 dried Nagas (ghost peppers) in near the end of the boil, left in until it cooled. This amount is perfect for me, heatwise - it's got that 'warming' glow and a good amount of heat and fruity naga taste. Maybe a bit much for non-chili heads though.

my LHBS did a ghost pepper pale ale that came out pretty good. Not sure I would want to drink a ton of it, but for sampling it was unique.

I made one with serranos and ghost pepper-infused vodka that turned out nice. The good thing about adding infused vodka is that it can be added at bottling, which allows you to go easy on the pepper at first. You avoid overdoing it and still hedge against not going far enough.

I like the idea of doing the infused vodka. You could really make an interesting beer that way.

2 row, cara pils, magnum hops, nottingham, and vodka infused with chilis, lime, and maybe cilantro? sounds interesting!

Back