Spices to use in wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any spices I have ever used in wine taste like whatever that spice is supposed to be like. What makes it more complex is the fruit you pair the spice with, and of course finding the right amount of spice for that batch. Flavor will be impacted if spices are old and stale versus fresh. So other than simply reviewing spice descriptives at perhaps a spice company website I am not aware of any other answer.

You may consider making a spice extract for trialing in finished wine. Spices in puregrain, airtight container and 10days to whenever. Drop by drop as trialing. Many prefer to use the spice extract, much like vanilla. It can get tricky adding spices to the ferment itself vs the bulk aging because you never know what you will get...but it is quite straight forward with your spice extract. I have a Ceylon cinnamon stick extract finished now, three weeks tomorrow. Great in the kitchen and in wines when you want them. Limited by only your imagination and access to the spices/nuts/herbs.

Back