Spices for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo

Reaction score
I planning on brewing an IPA on Labor day weekend and I was thinking of using some spices. So I was wondering if anyone has used spices in an IPA before and which ones should I use. Thanks.

The problem is that the strong bitterness & hop flavors of an IPA will undermine most spices you might add to a beer. Most spiced beers tend to be not so hoppy of beers for good reason . . . it lets you taste the spices better.

I am not an expert brewer, but the spice flavor comes from the hops you use. What kind of spice are you looking for? I really like the Northwest IPAs like Rogue's Brutal IPA. I believe that they use Centennial hops or cascade as a nice, less bitter, substitution. These hops have a nice citrus flavor. Don't forget that aroma plays a huge part in IPAs. Throw some hops in at flame out to get that wonderful flowery nose. :mug:

Well I haven't used them yet, but on Saturday I brewed up an IPA that I will either spice a part of it in the secondary or add a vodka infusion at bottling. I am slated to use fenugreek and coriander in two separate batches and perhaps blend them in a third, to compare to the base recipe with no spices. It is a modified recipe that is found in the book Radical Brewing.

Coriander is the more common spice to use. If you'd like to use that, source some indian coriander (pale, rugby/football shaped) rather than regular grocery store variety. This is more citrusy/floral rather than vegetal. As for an amount to use, 0.5 oz per 5 gallon (witbier) is probably a decent to low starting point, if used at the end of the boil. Of course, this might depend on how hoppy your IPA is. Cracked, slightly ground, these also can be added to secondary, provided you sanitize them in some way (boiling in water or other means). You can also steep coriander in vodka while your beer is fermenting, filter, and add it to taste to either secondary or your bottling bucket. This allows you more control over its contribution to the overal profile.

Each method may be different in terms of preserving flavor and/or aroma, and combining methods may add some layer of complexity.

Maybe some black pepper or even some fennel would stand up to the hops.....licorice root? Fennel IPA......I may have my next project!

fennel is used in a lot of sausages. Or as an after dinner "mint" in indian restaurants. I would compare it to anice, but less licorice-y. I admire the bravery of he who brews with spices...

Latest posts

Back