spiced mead questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybadger224

Reaction score
I found the idea to mix cardamom, orange peel, and vanilla (thanks internet!). Maybe another batch including nutmeg. any tips on how to go about this? how much of each i should use? i plan on shooting for a % range of 8% - 10%.

thanks for any tips,
and cheers!

Cardamom and vanilla are a bit delicate and a lot is lost of you ferment in primary fermentation. Personally of I were you I would start making an extract for the vanilla now and ferment a traditional mead just with the orange peel.

Probably take 4-5 vanilla pods split down the middle and place on a canning jar. Fill up with vodka or if you want to spend the money a good 40% alcohol brandy does even better for a remarkable flavor. Place your top on the jar and place in fridge. Every time you go into the fridge shake the jar for a few seconds for at least a week. This whole process takes at minimum a month and so give you plenty of time to start the primary.

Orange peel I would go with 1/2 ounce per gallon. If you want more flavor after tasting secondary then just add more then. Of using powdered cardamom then 1/4 tsp per gallon or 1 pod per gallon if whole.
The vanilla extract will probably be about 1-2 tsp per gallon but can be added to taste in secondary.

Let us know if you want tips on any other steps.

Back