Spice Tea Methods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjjohns5

Reaction score
I'm debating adding a pumpkin spice tea to my pumpkin beer as I'd like to have more pumpkin taste than it currently has. I'm just curious what the best tried and true methods may be?

I've read about steeping the spices in hot water for 10-15 minutes, but couldn't you just boil the spices in a cup of water for 5 minutes or so? Like you do during the wort boil?

Thanks.

I'm guessing you've already brewed this one. I think either method for making a spiced tea would work, just want to make sure it's sanitary, so boiling wouldn't be bad. Just add the cooled tea to secondary then rack on top of it (or at bottling). But I'm a bit confused. When you say pumpkin spice tea, is it just the spices? Because that won't add any more pumpkin flavor. If more spice is what you want, it would certainly work though.

Yeah, I'm talking about actual pumpkin spice, not more pumpkin flavor. I already brewed it, and it's in the secondary. I brewed the beer with pumpkin, and added a tsp of pumpkin spice and a tsp of cinnamon @ 10 min. I want more of the pumpkin spice flavor, so I was thinking about just boiling another tsp of pumpkin spice in a cup of water or so, cooling, then add at bottling with the priming sugar.

Awesome.

And you're a college student at Clemson, huh? I go to USF. I'll be up in Charlotte for the USF vs Clemson Bowl game this year!

Huh, small world. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make that game. Though if I were going to a bowl game, since I went to NCSU for undergrad I'd be going to Orlando. But I won't be there either... bummer.

Keep in mind it's not hard to overspice a beer. The last spiced beer I did only had a teaspoon, but I wanted it subtle, so adding another teaspoon with the priming sugar for you is probably a good amount. Let us know how that beer turns out!

You could also make a potion - steep cinnamon sticks, anise, etc. in vodka and add at bottling. This is a great way to add spice flavors to a beer, the vodka does a great job of pulling the flavor out of the ingredients. One of the science guys can explain why :)

Back