Spent Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcadieux

Reaction score
Just of curiosity, can the leftover grains just be left outside as bird seed rather than be thrown away?

They may not get the energy levels they need for cold weather out of it, I'm just guessing at this but it stands to reason seeing as the sugar is removed. I feed it to the future bacon.

If you have any kind of artisan bread maker near you, they will probably take it. I give it to my old boss at a pizza shop. He makes it into bread for the farmers market. Farmers will also take it to feed to their pigs or chickens. Don't just throw it away.

The squirrels/birds haven't really touched anything I've thrown out. I am going to start trying to mulch it into my garden though. Some people cook with it. It does seem like a waste to throw it away.

Not great for throwing out for bird seed, it will mold and sour. Compost it, doggie biscuit it, or give it a farmer.

It makes fantasamagoric compost. Warm, wet grain that's already partially broken down from the mash jump starts the compost bin in my experience.

Back