Spent Grains & Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guts? Are you thinking of eating them?

I just flush my hops down the toilet. I wouldn't put them on the compost heap as they are soaked in wort which may attract vermin?

mine go down the garbage disposal. They always smell so good it seems like a shame but yes I think they might attract vermin if left outside.

my place had a continuous smell of malts...until i ate those sardines last week. woof, now under the sink smells like rotten fish, and it's not going away too quick.

they were good, tho. I keep telling my roomate that, but he doesn't seem to care about how much i enjoy little salty fishies :D

Grains I compost for the garden, hops I just toss where my hop vines grow for some quick 'circle of life' fertilizer action. Couldn't tell you really what difference it makes. The hops grow like crazy but they've been in this valley over 100 years.

I put it on my compost pile. Seem to really cause the compost pile to heat up and decompose quicker. The pile must have been over 150F on a 50F day. Havn't had a problem with vermin in my plastic compost bin.

Craig

I'm thinking about spreading them really thin (like with a broadcast spreader) onto the lawn. Would be thin enough to not attract too many critters, and maybe give my grass a little pick me up. Any lawn folks out there have an opinion. I figure if it works, I'll keep doing it, and it won't hurt the kids.

I put mine out front on the hot rocks. This pic was taken 10 minutes later. The whole 20 pounds of "dry" grain was gone by morning.

4569-SpentGrains.jpg

I dump mine on the slope for the critters, though there haven't been many deer around since the trees west of me got harvested (AKA clear cut).

mebugboy said:
I'm thinking about spreading them really thin (like with a broadcast spreader) onto the lawn. Would be thin enough to not attract too many critters, and maybe give my grass a little pick me up. Any lawn folks out there have an opinion. I figure if it works, I'll keep doing it, and it won't hurt the kids.
Sounds like a great way to attract a flock of birds to your lawn. I could imagine the flock of gulls and/or geese that would descend on my yard if I did that.

Craig

I read a cool article in my local zine about a pig farmer who goes to all the microbreweries and brew pubs in town and picks up all their spent grains to feed his pigs.

If I tossed them in my yard I'd be fighting with these dudes:

Javelina-tpwd.jpg

javelina

packrat2.jpg

packrat

They go in the garbage can for me.

I've been giving mine to a neighbor to compost but his compost is getting full. I can't dump out back casue we have bears, coyotes and rattlesnakes. I'm pretty sure only two of those three eat grains though. lol

So.. now I'm not sure what to do. Thats a lot of grain for the garbage man to lift.

Back