Spent grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratdmd

Reaction score
Many have mentioned a desire to find some use for spent grain, besides compost. John Hancock Brewpub and Restaurant in Framingham, MA incorporates their spent grain into their pizza dough. A beautiful way to join two of life's greatest gifts.

I have a jar of doggie treats I make up for the mutts. They love them and good for them. Basically egg, peanut butter, flour, spent grain and bake low and slow till they are really dry. Moisture will fester mold and that's not good. Enjoy.

That sounds really good. Wait, did you say doggie treats? Whatever, still sounds delicious.

Woof Woof...

BTW, Anyone that's gone to John Harvard's knows that they offer spent grain pizza... The one in Framingham is where I go (since I live in Natick)...

My only 'complaint' about JH's is their beers seem under carbonated. Seriously under carbonated. I've tried different brews (BTW, Maria is a GREAT head brewer, meet her sometime, you'll see) and they all seem to have very little carbonation. Not sure why, but it's a shame since IMO, the brews would be much, much, much better if they were carbonated properly.

I did organize a tour at the Framingham location a couple of months back, via out Meetup group... Derik was very cool. Of course, I HAD to ask questions he wasn't expecting, at all... Love putting people on the spot like that... :D

I made spent grain pizza earlier this week, and used the following:

1 package active dry yeast (I used pizza crust yeast)
1/2 cup warm water (around 110 degrees F)
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup spent grain, wet
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
olive oil

Proof the yeast in the warm water, let stand for about 5 to 10 minutes to come to life (or proof it in warm wort if you have some.)
Mix the dry ingredients (including the "wet" spent grain; leftover wort in the grain enhances the flavor.)
Combine the yeast/water with the dry ingredients, mix until the dough comes together.
Turn it out on a floured board and knead for about 8 minutes.
Coat the bowl you mixed in with some olive oil, return the dough ball to the bowl and coat with oil.
Cover with a towel in a warm spot for 2 hours.
Punch down the dough and let rise for 30 more minutes.
Preheat oven as hot as it will go.
Remove dough from bowl, stretch over 18x13 sheet pan, top and bake until evenly browned on the bottom.

It was fantastic. Very tasty with crushed and diced tomatoes, whole milk mozzarella, artichoke hearts and pepperoni.

Those "many" who have expressed a desire to know what to do with their spent grain needed only to do a search for threads containing "spent grain" in the title to find over 60 different threads of discussions and more importantly RECIPES for everything from Soup, to pizza, to bread, cookies, and dog biscuits, to name a few. They've been readily on here for years, and really aren't hard to find.

Revvy said:
Those "many" who have expressed a desire to know what to do with their spent grain needed only to do a search for threads containing "spent grain" in the title to find over 60 different threads of discussions and more importantly RECIPES for everything from Soup, to pizza, to bread, cookies, and dog biscuits, to name a few. They've been readily on here for years, and really aren't hard to find.

I suppose if not for the people who don't use the search function this board would have been dead a long time ago.

Im getting better at remembering to do the search function. But the hbt.com app on DROID, isn't always the best at finding your answer.

Plus I never would've thought of pizza for spent grains.

I can always count on revvy for the "try the search" answer :)

And that's because I've already tried the search and found the "ton of info" that I mention when I recommend that someone try the search.

(How do YOU think I knew there were 60 threads and at least one of them was a SOUP recipe?!? ;))

Search results are temporary, so there was no point in posting the results of MY search (that too 2 seconds to do). And I wasn't going to hand post the 60+ recipe links.

Considering that every new brewer question is answered about 10 times a day every day, usually by me because people won't look at stickys or use the search...Why shouldn't we suggest they do a bit of work on occasion?

Seriously, I bet you there is no beginner question that hasn't already been answered really effectively on here already. Not just by me, but by a lot of people......

So why should we re-invent the wheel because you are too lazy to look around a bit. I mean we're not mean about it, like some other places, we just want you to know that it's already been covererd repeatedly.

The thing to me about searching is two fold, and I really hate coming off as a search nazi, BUT

1) There is a huuuge amount of state of the art brewing info on here...info that is even more current than palmer (only becasue it takes 2-3 years to get a book out.) Some of us have spent hours writing stuff up, like blogs or long answers to basic questions, including searching for links like audio and video casts to answer those basic questions...And we want you to know it exists, and we want you to utilize it to be the best damn brewer's you can be.

SO when I say it's been covered before, I'm not saying "hey a$$hat, use the search."

I'm saying "Hey, there's some kick ass info on that very topic, put together from some amazing brewers, and it's free, right here, you don't need to buy a book....all you need to do is click "search" and maybe play with the words a couple times...

2) A lot of the "kick ass brewers" who are here, and were here before I got here have stopped answering the same noob questions over and over. Most of those people get tired of it after a couple months, and just ignore these threads...From what people tell me, for doing it constantly for a year, I'm an anomoly....maybe because of my 'calling" (yes I am a minister for the 10,000th time ) I have an almost pathological need to help people...whether it's in a church or in a brewery.

Which means that the people who might be best able to answer your basic question are NOT going to because they did it 6 months ago, and feel that that's enough. Or they are no longer here...but their info is still here and still valuable...

So that really means that if you just start a thread, especially if you are asking about "Stainless vs Aluminum" or Plastic waterbottles or "is my beer ruined," or "what;s your opinion on...?" You may not GET THE BEST INFORMATION YOU COULD BE GETTING You could be getting the same outdated "party line" out of Palmer or Papazian, (which are actually several years of in the case of Charlie over a decade old) when there was some new discovery a few weeks back that we all talked to death and learned from...and we want you to know about it too...

I also have found, as someone that answers a lot of questions everyday, that if a person reads a thread on their "basic question" first and maybe bumps that thread up, that their question has a lot more depth than it might have been...because maybe they zeroed in on an issue from one or more of the posts in a thread...and then rather than,

"What's that fuzzy stuff on top of my beer?" To "Oh I thought my beer was infected, now I know it's a krauzen, it's normal, and it has proteins and other things in it, so what kinda proteins are there, do they come from the yeasts, the wort or both, and should I skim it or not?"

Which is more fun for me to answer because it may lead me to search, or to google or to recall some fuzzy bit of info I heard on a podcast and go search for it for you...and for me...

So get over it. If people keep asking the same question, we ARE going to suggest they search for the answers that are already here. And about 99% of the time we are going to be nice about.

Heck most of the time I do the searching for the person and post the links. But I can't do it 100% of the time, since I often am now answering from my smart phone, and it's not easy to post links from there. And if I can't I usually provide the search words that I use in the post, like give them the paramters that I use.

But again, whether you like it or not, the times we do suggest someone search it is on the questions that get asked over and over and over and over, where the answer is going to be exactly the same, which was more than likely given over and over and over. And hasn't changed in the 10,000 times we've answered it before. So why do we need to re-invent the wheel or beat a dead horse to the ground on the same answers that are already there?

I love when people get their panties in a twist because someone DARES suggest they do a search. Isn't the poster who starts a thread looking for information? The information usually already HERE. Personally I learned to wipe my own butt 40+ years, I don't need my infomation spoon fed to me, I can find it myself.

I think its funny how people are lambasted for not using the search function, then if they comment on an old post, the same people come out with pitchforks on reviving a thread. Must just be human nature on the intertron.

onthekeg said:
I think its funny how people are lambasted for not using the search function, then if they comment on an old post, the same people come out with pitchforks on reviving a thread. Must just be human nature on the intertron.

So having the audacity to just mention that there are a bunch of really cool recipes on here that folks can find one here is lambasting? Really? I see it as INFORMING folks that might not know. It even appeared that the OP didn't appear to know that there's actually pizza dough recipes on here.

And I've never seen the pitchforks come out for bumping an old thread. All I've ever seen on here is a comment about a zombie thread being ressurected or the old holy thread bumping batman. If you think that is hauling out the pitchforks then maybe your skin is to thin for this internet thing.

Actually there are 2 really interesting threads that were bumped that have got renewed attention. They've taken on a new fresh life. To me that's a good thing fresh eyes building onto what's already there rather than just reinventing the wheel or rehashing the same old thing.

So having the audacity to just mention that there are a bunch of really cool recipes on here that folks can find one here is lambasting? Really? I see it as INFORMING folks that might not know. It even appeared that the OP didn't appear to know that there's actually pizza dough recipes on here.

And I've never seen the pitchforks come out for bumping an old thread. All I've ever seen on here is a comment about a zombie thread being ressurected or the old holy thread bumping batman. If you think that is hauling out the pitchforks then maybe your skin is to thin for this internet thing.

Actually there are 2 really interesting threads that were bumped that have got renewed attention. They've taken on a new fresh life. To me that's a good thing fresh eyes building onto what's already there rather than just reinventing the wheel or rehashing the same old thing.

I'm not the one that got all worked up. I just stated the recent history of the board. Sorry to offend! And futhermore, I am one of those that don't reply to the never-ending same old questions. Kudo's to you for helping out the noobs.

Latest posts

Back