Spent Grain??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kplum

Reaction score
I am not sure if this belongs here, Mods.. Please Move if you need to..

Spent Grains??

What about making bird seed? Has anyone tried this? I cannot find any information on this.. I thought about trying it..

You can throw a little milk and sugar on it and have a tasty breakfast treat! ;)

I just toss mine in the compost, but animals of all sorts will eat it, livestock, birds, dogs, etc.

I was just wanting to dry it out.. throw it out for the birds.. Maybe I will make my friends bulldog some treats as well.. Thanks guys..

If you have a bread machine, make a batch of your favorite wheat bread recipe, but substitute one cup of spent grain for one cup of flour. Watch it as it blends...you may have to add a little water or flour to get the right consistency.

Good stuff! I do this with every batch of beer now, the rest of the grain goes on the compost heap.

bread.jpg

If you want to feed the birds just throw it out and they will eat. To make dog treats mix about 4 cups grain w/4 cup flour (or corn meal etc), 1 cup peanut butter and 1 egg. You can throw in parsley, ect. if you want to help with nasty dog breath. Bake for about 30 minutes @ 350 then for several hours @ 225 to really dry them out, that way you won't have to worry about mold when you store them. I heard also to not use grains that have hops becuase the hops are bad for dogs.

I found I needed a bit more liquid for the doggie biscuits but they turned out great. My 3 doggies just LOVE them!

I add more liquid too. 4 cups flour, 4 cups grain, 1 cup PB, 1 egg, get yer hands dirty mixing it.

Its fun, and the dongs go into orgasmic shock when they get one.

I knew somebody would recite the recpie.

Bread -- yes. Dog treats -- yes. Bird feed -- no. I've put some spent grain out near my bird feeders. Never saw a bird or squirrel touch it. (And there were lots of both out there daily.) After several months, I had to clean it up & put it on the compost pile.

But I always save some in small ziplocs for making bread. And I make dog treats every second or third batch of homebrew.

I put mine in the compost heap, but the dogs so far haven't touched them. I expected to have to chase them out all the time.

Next time I'm making some doggie treats!

Back