Spent Grain Meatloaf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otterella

Reaction score
Yeah, it was worth it. I pretty much just substituted spent grains instead of breadcrumbs. It seems really wet when it's raw, but the grains absorb more than you think they will, so the danger is your meatloaf could get overly dry if you add too much. So have a decent sauce ready just in case. I'm going to give this another try as meatballs and see how it works with spaghetti.

1 - 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/2 cup homebrew
1 egg
1 cup spent grains, dried in oven and ground in food processor
1 onion, very finely minced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 jar roasted red peppers, finely diced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
Herbs to taste (parsley, basil, whatever you like)
Salt and pepper
Another 1/2 cup tomato sauce

Combine everything but second 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Form a loaf on a silpat covered sheet pan and coat with remaining sauce. Bake at 375 until center is 165-170 (about 45 minutes).

Going to have to give this a try soon. I was already planning on using some of the spent grains from my next batch in a bread. Now I'll save a bit more and make a meatloaf too. :D

Wondering if you could save the time of drying the spent graint and use it wet. Perhaps delete adding the homebrew to reduce the mositure?

Yeah, it was worth it. I pretty much just substituted spent grains instead of breadcrumbs. It seems really wet when it's raw, but the grains absorb more than you think they will, so the danger is your meatloaf could get overly dry if you add too much. So have a decent sauce ready just in case. I'm going to give this another try as meatballs and see how it works with spaghetti.

1 - 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/2 cup homebrew
1 egg
1 cup spent grains, dried in oven and ground in food processor
1 onion, very finely minced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 jar roasted red peppers, finely diced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
Herbs to taste (parsley, basil, whatever you like)
Salt and pepper
Another 1/2 cup tomato sauce

Combine everything but second 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Form a loaf on a silpat covered sheet pan and coat with remaining sauce. Bake at 375 until center is 165-170 (about 45 minutes).

Back