Spent Grain? Make Your Best Friend Cookies!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done the following, all with no problem:

Ingredients
  • Tablespoon of Parmesan cheese per batch.
  • Teaspoon granulated or powdered garlic per batch.
  • Food coloring (yellow for "chicken", red for "beef"). Takes much more food coloring than you would think, but it works.

Garlic is very toxic to both cats and dogs. Obviously depends on the size of the beast but it's more concentrated than onion so takes less to do damage.

Garlic is very toxic to both cats and dogs. Obviously depends on the size of the beast but it's more concentrated than onion so takes less to do damage.

Hmmm. I'm a skeptic, so I looked for more evidence on the webz, and (besides the usual BS) I did find corroborating info.

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/04/13/homeopathic-and-natural-dog-supplements-garlic/

So, while the small amount I added won't harm the dog, I'm not doing that anymore! BTW, turns out that onions are much, much worse than garlic.

Thanks for that info.

I don't know where you are getting your information however garlic is not only safe for dogs, but is in quite a few dog supplements. I can't speak for cats as I don't have any. My dogs are perfectly healthy and get garlic regularly.

I can only make one batch at a time........I have 3 zip locks , with 4 cups of grains in each. How can I store these so they don't start to mold? Freeze them?

Yeah, just stack'em in the freezer. I got some German spent grains in there I wanna make braided loafs with once I get an Italian pan.

My dog likes them. I even doubled the amount of ingredients and still threw a bunch of grains away. Once I move I'll have to start making some compost. How would you make bread with the spent grains?

Thank you. My only experience bread making is the Alton Brown recipe for oatmeal bread. The family enjoyed it. I saved about 8 cups in the freezer so I'm going to have to give the bread a try.

I try to make the dog treats as much as possible. I hate throwing away good spent grain. My lab loves them but then again he's a lab and they love anything they can eat!

Making bread is a great idea. My wife has a bread maker and I have a mill so I think I'll try the bread thing. I have a 6 month old so free time is hard to come by but since I can freeze the grain I should be able to find time at some point.

So I brewed last Thursday and it's now Sunday. After I mashed, I scooped em up into my 5 gallon kettle and there they sat till today. Is it still safe to make these With my grains? They kinda smell, but I don't know what it's supposed to smell like.

Here are excellent recipes, I should say! I have some interested message about one dog treats manufacturer:

Do you like to cook for animals? If you do, then you know that it may be difficult to make a recipe just right. You may have an idea for a flavor for an organic dog treat but not know where to start. When you submit your organic dog treat idea, pooches tasty treats, LLC will work to make your and your dogs healthy treat dreams a reality. Simply submit your healthy dog treat idea and it may be in your dogs mouth sooner than you think.

Hope this will come in handy ;)

Made them for my last brew. My Goonie loves them.

20150802_205608.jpg

20150802_211857.jpg

Hey quick question. Once these are made how would they last in a Ziploc in the fridge?
months, if not years, if you bake them until they're bone dry (as i do). once dried out, there isn't much to go bad. i've given my puppy year-old spent grain cookies with no ill effect and they were stored in a tupperware in the basement.

and if your dog is anything like mine, it's not like things going bad is going to stop them from eating it anyways... :D

Brewed up a batch of centennial blonde and decided to make my first batch of these dog treats.

It was very easy and my dogs love them. I am using my dehydrator to dry them out rather than the oven. I will be making these again.

They both can work. An oven at a low setting works just fine.

I have not bought dog treats since I started brewing. My dogs go crazy for them.

I still baked them at 350 for 30 min. Then put them in the dehydrator. Mainly because I figured it doesn't use as much electricity. They took about 14 hours in my dehydrator.

I still baked them at 350 for 30 min. Then put them in the dehydrator. Mainly because I figured it doesn't use as much electricity. They took about 14 hours in my dehydrator.

It only takes a couple of hours in low oven. Turn it down to 200 and then after couple of hours. Turn off the oven and let them siit. Perfectly dry and good for the dogs,

I only do extract brewing. Can I use the grains from the extract kit to make dog treats? Will these still be as good?

I only do extract brewing. Can I use the grains from the extract kit to make dog treats? Will these still be as good?

You won't have as many grains, but they are just as usable. Store your grains in ziplock freezer bags in your freezer until you have enough to make a batch of treats. Then thaw the grains and get cookin'!

Sorry if i missed it (really long thread, searched didn't find) but does anyone know if you can sub flour for like pea flour or whatever. My dog isn't suppose to get corn, wheat or soy. Also I know the corn/wheat/soy thing is a huge debate in the pet community and I really would just like answer without that side debate spiraling. Thanks!
:mug:

Sorry if i missed it (really long thread, searched didn't find) but does anyone know if you can sub flour for like pea flour or whatever. My dog isn't suppose to get corn, wheat or soy. Also I know the corn/wheat/soy thing is a huge debate in the pet community and I really would just like answer without that side debate spiraling. Thanks!

We used buckwheat instead of flour since it's gluten free. Dogs loved them!

Use BARLEY FLOUR

I'm making dog biscuits today from spent grain that's been in my fridge for a week. (it still smells sweet) I couldn't find my cookie cutters so I used a small Mason jar ring to cut them out. Pat out the dough, cut cookies, reform the dough and cut some more, etc. The first batch is in the oven now; I'll bake from for 30 minutes, then put them on the food dehydrator for a few hours.

They smell good in the oven, I might eat one after they come out and cool a bit :)

I'm using about 4-ish cups of grain (from a porter), 2 cups of high protein bread flour, a cup of rye flour, a cup of peanut butter (I just eyeballed it), 1 overripe banana, 2 eggs, and a pinch of salt.

I just found out they're putting xylitol in some fancy brands of peanut butter. Xylitol is deadly to dogs even in rather small amounts, so read the labels. I don't remember if I used Skippy or Jif or Peter Pan, but I did check the label and it just has plain old sugar and is safe. (I wish they didn't put any sweeteners in PB, I have to make my own if I want the good stuff)

Latest posts

Back