Spelt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radwizard

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing with Spelt (Whole, Raw) and have concerns about how it is going to go in my mill. Anyone have any experience with Spelt? I'm hoping that it isn't to hard to go through my Cereal Killer mill. Any tips?

I'm planning on brewing with Spelt (Whole, Raw) and have concerns about how it is going to go in my mill. Anyone have any experience with Spelt? I'm hoping that it isn't to hard to go through my Cereal Killer mill. Any tips?
Are you talking about malted spelt?
I'm pretty sure unmalted spelt would have to go in a cereal mash.

I've thought about kilning some "sprouted spelt berries" in my oven. Perhaps @ 250 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Don't sprouted and malted mean the same thing?

But since Weyermann's provides malted spelt, its easier to just buy theirs. They can certainly kiln it more properly and more consistently than I can.

I brewed quite a bit with spelt malt and you can basically treat it the same way as you would treat wheat malt. Same goes with unmalted spelt and unmalted wheat.

I really like spelt and would always use it instead of wheat, if I have access to it.

Are you talking about malted spelt?
I'm pretty sure unmalted spelt would have to go in a cereal mash.

I'm thinking about unmalted spelt, although I have not really decided. I have seen that Best Maltz and Weyermann's has Spelt Malt available, but I am leaning towards whole berries or rolled flakes.

Flakes would be great, but I have not been able to find many options online. I have seen Bob's Red Mill has Rolled Spelt but it is not available anywhere I have looked. Berries are pretty available, and have some good local options. I'm not sure if I am going to do a cereal mash, I might just grind it fine and BIAB it. I don't know how it'll run in my mill, but I guess I will just have to see how it goes and do a cereal mash if my crush is crappy.

The current plan is to use about 20% in a Saison.

I'm thinking about unmalted spelt, although I have not really decided. I have seen that Best Maltz and Weyermann's has Spelt Malt available, but I am leaning towards whole berries or rolled flakes.

Flakes would be great, but I have not been able to find many options online. I have seen Bob's Red Mill has Rolled Spelt but it is not available anywhere I have looked. Berries are pretty available, and have some good local options. I'm not sure if I am going to do a cereal mash, I might just grind it fine and BIAB it. I don't know how it'll run in my mill, but I guess I will just have to see how it goes and do a cereal mash if my crush is crappy.

The current plan is to use about 20% in a Saison.
In this case,I would look for spelt flour online or in local supermarkets. As you biab, you can just throw it in the mash and that's it!

Back