Speidel Fermentor questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
Looking to get a 8 gallon speidel. Mostly because I brew a lot of big beers and Belgian beers and need the extra head space. Three questions:

Can the spiedel be used in a water bath/swamp cooler without worrying about water leaking in?

Can I do CO2 transfers like I currently do? Now I hook my CO2 up to one hole of a carboy cap and the racking cane goes in the other hole (using better bottles). I read people are using carboy caps on the tops of these things for thermowells so it seems like CO2 transfers are possible.

What is the total height (with airlock)? I see morebeer gives the height without an airlock, but that's not really very helpful.

Looking to get a 8 gallon speidel. Mostly because I brew a lot of big beers and Belgian beers and need the extra head space. Three questions:

Can the spiedel be used in a water bath/swamp cooler without worrying about water leaking in?

I would say probably, none of mine ever leak out so I would guess the reverse is true. My concern would be sanitation of the spigot if you plan on using it for transfers, I'm sure that can be dealt with, but I guess I simply don't like the idea of submerging the spigot to begin with.

FWIW, Sam's has the 5 cu ft Haier freezer on sale for $129, this fermenter fits perfectly.

Can I do CO2 transfers like I currently do? Now I hook my CO2 up to one hole of a carboy cap and the racking cane goes in the other hole (using better bottles). I read people are using carboy caps on the tops of these things for thermowells so it seems like CO2 transfers are possible.

Sure, some people buy a second spigot to attach to the lid, it can be used for pressure transfers or as a blow-off. I bought a spare solid lid and a post adaptor so I can connect a gas disconnect directly. I don't do pressurized transfers very often, I usually rack from the spigot, IMHO one of the most useful features of these fermenters.

What is the total height (with airlock)? I see morebeer gives the height without an airlock, but that's not really very helpful.

I've never used the stock airlocks, they are way too bulky and I use a thermowell too. I use #8 1/2 stoppers with an S-lock and drill a second hole for my thermowell.

I agree with Merlin. I would be careful about pressurized transfers. I would use a spigot on the top and slip 3/8 silicone tubing over it so that an accidental over pressure situation has the tube pop off.

Back