Speidel fermenter smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 7.5 gallon Speidel fermenter, I have fermented 2 beers in it a brown ale and a irish red ale. After cleaning it still get a smell of ….yeast.
It has been cleaned with PBW and rinsed 3 times in very hot water then ran StarSan though it, it still has a yeasty smell to it.
does anyone else have this happen?

Yeah, I’ve had that smell with both of mine. I’ve used mine multiple times with no issues with subsequent fermentations.

I used a Speidel for a while. I couldn't get a smell I thought was hops, but may have also been yeast, etc. (kind of phenolic?) out of it. Sitting open in storage unused for ages, still a powerful smell. Tried overnight soaks with Saniclean, which claims to remove all odors from draught lines. No joy. I love stainless.

Same. I got mine secondhand and never trust used plastic for clean ferments, so I used it straight away for a sour. It will forever smell like a Flanders red now. I kinda like it.

I have a 7.5 gallon Speidel fermenter, I have fermented 2 beers in it a brown ale and a irish red ale. After cleaning it still get a smell of ….yeast.
It has been cleaned with PBW and rinsed 3 times in very hot water then ran StarSan though it, it still has a yeasty smell to it.
does anyone else have this happen?
Yep, for sure, ever since my very first brew with it. It's never affected the perceived taste of any subsequent beers though so I keep rolling with it.

It's not unique to Speidels... all of my plastic buckets have a "fermenter smell" to them. As @Beer-lord stated, I've never noticed any bad effects in a beer.

Back