Speidel Fermenter... Question about Spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a Speidel 30L (7.9 gal) fermenter to allow for 7 gallon batches.

I like how it comes with a spigot for transfer, however, how much trub comes out of the spigot?

For a typical brew, is the layer of trub above or below the spigot level?

If it's below, does the motion of the fluid exiting through the spigot kick up the trub?

If it's above, do you not even use the spigot?

I have a 30L and a 60L. Most of the yeast cake will stay below the supplied valve's outlet, but let me say that valve is a very poor valve. If yours doesn't leak, you may have hit the jackpot.

NorCal Brewing makes a stainless steel dip tube and ball valve that replaces the factory one. I angle the dip tube slightly upward by rotating so it rides on top of the yeast cake leaving the sediment behind.

If you don't want to spend additional dollars, I'd simply remove the spigot and seal with the supplied cap and use a racking cane slightly above the yeast cake.

I use the speidel with the factory spigot. For me, the spigot is the best thing about this fermenter. I do not have problems with leaking.

Mine is the 60L model. I don't think the trub has ever come above the spigot with any of my beers.

I do get a little bit of yeast and trub when I open the valve (mostly when taking the first gravity sample) and more when I tilt the fermenter to get those last ounces of beer into a keg.

The only modification I'd like to see is to make the valve end longer so I can get a better grip for my tubing when I fill the keg. I have seen the metal spigots with dip tubes and wonder if those aren't solutions looking for a problem.

YMMV.

I have 2 of the 20L fermenters, and I've never had any problems with the stock valves leaking. My trub level seems highly variable. My pre-bottling gravity samples usually have a fair amount of gunk. I bottle directly from the fermenter using carb drops or sugar cubes. When bottling time comes, I just put my bottling wand into a glass and empty until it starts coming out clear, which usually doesn't take more than a few ounces.

I bought one of those metal spigots on a whim, and I think it was a waste of money. You can't really take it apart to clean inside, and it's hard for me to trust that it's clean without being able to do so. I never use it unless I don't have one of the stock spigots available (sometimes I screw them on the top, open up the valve, and connect a hose to use as a blowoff tube). One of the best things about the stock plastic valves is that they come apart very easily and they're super easy to clean.

Oh, and with regard to fitting tubing over the valve end, I just use 3/8" silicone tubing and push it up as far as it will go (over the orange plastic, and up onto the clear plastic). It takes a little force, but the silicone is flexible enough to do it and it's very secure.

I'll try the OEM spigot before buying another one. I should be able to put a cap on the spigot so if it does leak, the cap will hold in the fluid. This is assuming that that's where it leaks from.

The little white rubber caps that come with the orange carboy caps might work.

I have three of the 30L that I've used for ~70 batches so far and haven't had any leaking issues. I usually position the spigot so it points to 3 o'clock which puts the inlet slightly higher relative to the trub/yeast cake. I'll drain a half pint or so off before attaching my tubing which gets anything that has settled in the spigot. You'll still pull some during racking, but it's not much.

I've always used 1/2" silicone tubing with a small worm clamp that has the plastic "wing" to tighten. I put the tubing over the orange spigot and the 1/4" or so of the white spigot body that's available. The 1/2" is just a little bigger than what would be ideal, so you need to take care and not tighten the clamp too much, otherwise the tubing pinches and can allow some air in. I'm going to try some 3/8" as someone mentioned which might eliminate the need for the clamp.

I did pick up the SS racking arm and ball valve for the mod outlined in one of the threads here, but I will probably never use it since the stock spigot is very easy to take a part and clean thoroughly and they are dirt cheap to replace once they eventually wear out...

Do any of you bottle? I was thinking that there is no way to get priming sugar in...

I bottle directly from the Speidel, but I add the sugar directly to the bottle so I don't have to stir up the trub. I usually use Domino Dots sugar cubes, which are 2.5 grams each, and I find it gives me a pretty good level of carbonation for most beers. I also use these sometimes to fine tune: http://www.homebrewing.org/Brewers-Best-Conditioning-Tablets-5-oz_p_2444.html

They're not as cost-effective as the sugar cubes, but they work well if I want a little less carbonation (use 3 per bottle) or more carbonation (add one to the sugar cube).

I hate dealing with bottling buckets, mixing priming sugar, etc., and being able to bottle directly from primary is one of my favorite things about the Speidel.

I bottle directly from the Speidel, but I add the sugar directly to the bottle so I don't have to stir up the trub. I usually use Domino Dots sugar cubes, which are 2.5 grams each, and I find it gives me a pretty good level of carbonation for most beers. I also use these sometimes to fine tune: http://www.homebrewing.org/Brewers-Best-Conditioning-Tablets-5-oz_p_2444.html

They're not as cost-effective as the sugar cubes, but they work well if I want a little less carbonation (use 3 per bottle) or more carbonation (add one to the sugar cube).

I hate dealing with bottling buckets, mixing priming sugar, etc., and being able to bottle directly from primary is one of my favorite things about the Speidel.

One 2.5g sugar cube per 12 oz bottle seems to be in the appropriate range of carbonation. My rough guess using an online calculator is 2.7 vol of CO2. Do the cubes fit easily into the bottle? This does seem easier than messing with a bottle bucket! I might do this for my next brew.

One 2.5g sugar cube per 12 oz bottle seems to be in the appropriate range of carbonation. My rough guess using an online calculator is 2.7 vol of CO2. Do the cubes fit easily into the bottle? This does seem easier than messing with a bottle bucket! I might do this for my next brew.

They do fit easily. The ones I buy are not perfect squares, they're slightly rectangular. If oriented improperly it can be a little tight, but if you align it right it slides right in. Occasionally I'll come across a bottle with thicker glass in the lip (Samuel Smith bottles come to mind), and it takes a little bit of force to shove the cubes into those.

They do fit easily. The ones I buy are not perfect squares, they're slightly rectangular. If oriented improperly it can be a little tight, but if you align it right it slides right in. Occasionally I'll come across a bottle with thicker glass in the lip (Samuel Smith bottles come to mind), and it takes a little bit of force to shove the cubes into those.

Any reason you are using the Domino cubes? Would a local grocery store not have the right kind (size, weight)?

Any reason you are using the Domino cubes? Would a local grocery store not have the right kind (size, weight)?

Most of the regular size sugar cubes are 4 grams, which is way too much (and probably wouldn't fit in the bottle anyway). I've used generic brand ones before without issue, the key is just making sure they're the right size.

Got my 30L fermenter today and filled it halfway to check for leaks. The spigot itself didn't leak but the seal between the spigot and the fermenter did. I had to crank down on the nut to stop it from leaking. With a gasket of that type it should not take that much force to seal. Not too happy about that but the rest of it seems okay.

Sugar in the bottle! Brilliant. I wish I thought of that. I will try that on the next brew for sure!

Back