Specific heat value for plastic cooler type mash tuns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
For hitting target temperatures, what is a decent starting point for a specific heat value for a 52 Qt Coleman Extreme ice chest and a 5 gallon Igloo water cooler?

For hitting target temperatures, what is a decent starting point for a specific heat value for a 52 Qt Coleman Extreme ice chest and a 5 gallon Igloo water cooler?

Not a direct answer, but... When I used a cooler MLT I moved to the approach of overheating the MLT without pre-heating and measuring the temp after I closed it up for about 5-10 min to settle in, and stir it well. If it needed to go up, I'd pull some water and heat it up higher, if down, stir like mad with the top open. This way you always hit your ideal strike temp after you then dough in your grain bill. Easy-peasy. I also use Brewer's Friend temp calculator to hit the mash temp. Best of luck!

fwiw, I use 0.3 Calories/Gram-Degree C in Beersmith for my 10g Rubbermaid MLT, and plugging tun and grain temperature in it has reliably produced a strike temperature solution that nails the mash temp within a degree F. No preheating required...

Cheers!

fwiw, I use 0.3 Calories/Gram-Degree C in Beersmith for my 10g Rubbermaid MLT, and plugging tun and grain temperature in it has reliably produced a strike temperature solution that nails the mash temp within a degree F. No preheating required...

Cheers!

What is a typical temperature that you preheat your strike water to?

Pulled up a random batch (Cream Ale) from BS2 using that MLT.

Grain (14#) temperature was 63°F, MLT temperature was 65°F, target mash temperature was 150°F, strike water (~18 qt) temperature was 166.9°F, and after 10 minutes the grain bed was at 150.4°F...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back