specific gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misha

Reaction score
not sure how to read it, is it 70 or 60? and what does it mean - what should be the final estimated alcohol content? it was quite cold juice if that's important ...

Attachments

• IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 159
Looks like about 1.06.

ABV will depend on where the fermentation stops at...

If it goes all the way to 1.00 -- then ABV ~ 7.86% quick ABV calc is (OG - FG)*131

Cheers!

thanks! What about residual sugar? not sure if i can have proper ice cider approach as apples were almost fully thawed...

Residual Sugar will depend on where you stop fermentation.

SG=1 means none left.

What yeast are you using?

Bit hard to tell from the photo, but your graduations seem to be a bit close together such that the meniscus covers almost 0.010... what is the range that your hydrometer covers? The other issue to check is whether the hydrometer is calibrated to read the top or bottom of the meniscus.

Most are the bottom of the meniscus, but one of mine is top of the meniscus (very confusing!) so I keep threatening to get a bottom of the meniscus one, but never seem to get around to it.

Another worthwhile spend is a "finishing hydrometer". Mine covers 0.980 to 1.020 and has widely spaced graduations so you really can see 0.001 changes in SG. This is quite handy if you are looking to stove top pasteurise or otherwise stop the fementation to retain sweetness.

it was quite cold juice if that's important ...

Hydrometers are usually calibrated to a certain temp, I believe most new ones are calibrated at 68F. So, yes it does matter but its usually not too far off unless you are testing temps dramatically different. You can use this calculator to adjust if you care enough...

Cheers!

Cider can finish anywhere from specific gravity 0.992 to 1.015, depending on the recipe. Typically it will be around 0.997-1.002 for the average joe schmo cider, so then @bmd2k1 's estimate above is pretty close to right.

Mine is calibrated for 60 deg. F. I find filling the cylinder to the very top makes reading the hydrometer much easier.

Residual Sugar will depend on where you stop fermentation.

SG=1 means none left.

What yeast are you using?
wild yeast that was in the juice. From four 20 litres containers two of them - ice ciders are really tasty - with good bit of sugar, and other two - not so much - bitter and kind of off-flavor - vinegar like(update - not vineger like - but more biter, dry finish like), but need to confirm it once more - as I had too much of the sample material and my judgmental skills went out of hand.

Last edited:
Bit hard to tell from the photo, but your graduations seem to be a bit close together such that the meniscus covers almost 0.010... what is the range that your hydrometer covers? The other issue to check is whether the hydrometer is calibrated to read the top or bottom of the meniscus.

Most are the bottom of the meniscus, but one of mine is top of the meniscus (very confusing!) so I keep threatening to get a bottom of the meniscus one, but never seem to get around to it.

Another worthwhile spend is a "finishing hydrometer". Mine covers 0.980 to 1.020 and has widely spaced graduations so you really can see 0.001 changes in SG. This is quite handy if you are looking to stove top pasteurise or otherwise stop the fementation to retain sweetness.
.980-1.150

today's reading...looks like almost dry no? what should be the alcohol content according to the first pic? cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20181209_184824.jpg
    IMG_20181209_184824.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49
what about this reading?

Attachments

• 20191119_120313.jpg
    20191119_120313.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
The easiest way to keep the hydrometer away from the wall is give it a spin. Also the more full the tube is the easier it is to read.

Back