Specific Gravity Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BStewie

Reaction score
Ok, I know this has probably already been answered but I am unable to find it in the fourm.

I am going to run my second batch this weekend and I had some problems with a low OG on my current batch. When would be the correct time to take an OG reading? When the wort has cooled, when I have added it to my primary fermentator (which already contains 2 gallons of chilled water), or after I get everything good to go and just before I pitch the yeast?

I am not for sure on what type of beer I am going to do next, but I am planing on trying a batch where I steep grains.

Just before you pitch. If you stir well (which I assume you do to aerate anyway) you should get a fairly accurate reading. If you're doing extract kits and it seems a few points off then don't worry.

Awesome, thats what I was looking for. Like I said I know this was most likely already answered, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Back