Specific Gravity and Dry Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderbock

Reaction score
I'm rather new to brewing and I've noticed when I have members of the local homebrew club taste my beers they mention that its dry. I have noticed that my FG seems to be on the low side, sometimes around 1.007-1.009 even though the recipe shows the lower end 1.012-1.016. On average they're in the primary for 1 week and then in secondary to further clear for another 5-7 days before kegging.
I've used wyeast 1056, 1010, 1098. Fermentation temp averages 72 degrees.
Should I be checking my gravities before 1 week in the primary, and if they are low, do I just decrease the temp to stop the action of the yeast?
When reading through the posts it seems people are keeping their beers in primary for weeks becuase they are not getting the FG low enough.

Hmm, can you post an example recipe with OG, FG, Temp of hydrometer sample/and calibration, with other info. That will help us determine what is going on.

If you are brewing all grain, try mashing at higher temps. This will produce a wort with more unfermentable dextrines, producing a fuller bodied beer with a higher final gravity. If you extract brew: If, after fermentation is complete, you still have a very low final gravity, try adding malto dextrin which does not ferment. Add small amounts until your final gravity agrees with specs.

Most recent Hardtail Pale Ale

8.5 # pale 2 row
1# carafoam
1# crystal 40
60 minute mash at 154, single infusion batch sparge
6.5 gallons boil for 60 minutes (approx 65% efficiency)
60 minute boil chinook 1.5 oz
30 minute boil cascade 1.5 oz
15 minute Irish Moss
Will add dry hop cascade to keg
OG 1.048 at 76 degrees adjusted to 1.050
wyeast 1056
gravity out of primary 1.009 after 7 days. Currently in secondary since Monday, was thinking of kegging it today as I don't want specific gravity to fall any more.

If I mashed that beer at 154, my FG would be around 1.013 or 1.014. Not sure what you are doing to get so low. Even when I mash at 150, my FG has never been less than 1.010.

Within a week, the gravity of my beers drops to within a point of where it will eventually finish out. I leave my beer in primary for 3 weeks to give it time to clear and condition before bottling, and drop that extra point of gravity.

Back