Specialty Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chetsmith7

Reaction score
I am a novice brewer. I use extracts and I have experimented a little with specialty grains and some adjuncts. I haven't used the darker specialty grains yet, though. I am unclear on whether I should crack Black patent malt, Chocolate malt, and Roasted Barley or just steep them in a bag as is. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I am a novice brewer. I use extracts and I have experimented a little with specialty grains and some adjuncts. I haven't used the darker specialty grains yet, though. I am unclear on whether I should crack Black patent malt, Chocolate malt, and Roasted Barley or just steep them in a bag as is. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

All whole grains, no matter what kind, need to be crushed before steeping. The only exceptions would be grains that come in flakes, like some flaked wheat or flaked oats. They have been processed already, so they don't need to be crushed.

+1 to both of the above. You always need to crack your grains, unless someone else has cracked them for you.

Latest posts

Back