specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBmadtown

Reaction score
I am starting to move beyond kits and wanting to do recipes posted here. My issue is figuring out the steeping grains. My LHBS sells the grains in 1 lb bags. Many recipes call for 0.5 lb or 0.75 lb.

Do most of you buy the 1 lb and toss the left over? I would hate to be that wasteful. What else do you all do?

Measure out what you need an store the rest for later recipes. It would probably be worthwhile to get a scale if you don't already have one.

I don't have a crusher or mill. So, do I try and weigh the grains at the LHBS and then crush them? Then save the uncrushed...

I don't have a crusher or mill. So, do I try and weigh the grains at the LHBS and then crush them? Then save the uncrushed...

That's what you'd have to do.

I'd either find a new LHBS, where they let you buy what you need, or order online.

Some of my darker beers call just for an ounce or two of dark grains. I use 2 ounces of chocolate malt in some, 6 ounces of black barley in others. I'd be unhappy if I had to buy a whole pound all the time.

My LHBS allows me to buy exactly the ammount I need and crushes it there for me, I just have to put it a steeping bag later on. Im surprised that you dont have a better LHBS.

Most good LHBS will allow you to measure exactly what you need. If you dont plan to use all of the grains and save some for later, I would purchase a cheap Corona Style Grain Mill off of ebay and crush the grains you are using yourself. That way the uncrushed grains will stay fresh longer.

+1 I think it's worth while to buy a cheap mill. Grind what you need to each batch. Store the rest away for future use. You ensure fresh crushed grains and little/no waste.

I am fairly new so my LHBS may have that customer service. I just saw the 1 lb bags and assumed you needed to buy in that quantity. The next time I am there I will have to ask.

I but the pound and put the leftover in a bag for another time. Of course if you use it .75 lbs at a time you'll need 3 lbs to get 4 batches.

Back