Specialty grains / steeping bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Beerisnom

Reaction score
I'm still using recipe kits. Many of the kits include specialty grains and a steeping bag. The directions say to just let the bag sit in the 155F water for a set amount of time. It seems to me that you'd get the most out of the grains if you moved the bag around in the pot (at least it seems that the water gets darker that way).

I wonder if I'm helping/harming the process by moving the bag around in this fashion?

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I save those muslin grain bags for when I dry hop with whole leaf hops. I instead use a nylon grain bag that can stretch over the lip of the kettle & not squeeze shut like muslin does. This allows we to dunk the drained mash/steep grains in the sparge water to stir them before allowing them to sit in there for 10 minutes, using the sparge wort with the mash/steep wort for boil volume.

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still using recipe kits. Many of the kits include specialty grains and a steeping bag. The directions say to just let the bag sit in the 155F water for a set amount of time. It seems to me that you'd get the most out of the grains if you moved the bag around in the pot (at least it seems that the water gets darker that way).

I wonder if I'm helping/harming the process by moving the bag around in this fashion?
If you want to get more movement of water through the grains you might want to purchase a bag that doesn't restrict the flow of water like the muslin bags do. Paint strainer (sound bad, doesn't it? They are just nylon mesh but sold for the purpose of straining the bits out of the paint so they don't clog the sprayer or make lumps in the paint finish) bags will let your grains move around more and you may get more color/flavor/sugars from the grain this way.