Specialty Grains for starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copachono

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, im new to all grains brew, i had always used muntons extracts, really simple nice beers,

recently a shop open near my job, its the only shop for brewery i know in my country in fact so i bought some grains to make some recipes in this forums 1 gallon batch size, but i end up with some specialty grains that have been already milled they are:
carafa II about 0.6#, caramunich II about 0.6# roasted barley about 0.5#, so i was wondering if i can make a yest starter with thease grains for a wheat beer, i believe it will turn a dark beer, but i dont know if will only change the color or the taste.

With just those grains, you won't get much fermentable sugar. So no, they really wouldn't work well for a starter,

You need some sort of base malt like 2 row or something to get the sugars needed for a starter. Those grains get help converting what they're able to from the base malt. Yeast have to have something to eat.

Back