special treatment of dry yeast when pitching in sour wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
I'm planning to directly pitch dry S05 into kettle soured (boiled and cooled) wort pH 3.5-3.8. Should I treat the SO5 yeast any differently than normal? I'm thinking that due to the pH I may need more yeast and slightly warmer than my usual lower temp (18.9C; 66F) fermentation. I still want a clean fermenting taste profile from the yeast.

My current plan is to sprinkle 5 packs of S05 directly into 11 gal sour wort at 20C (68F), wait 15-30 min, shake and aerate with O2, then ferment at 20C (68F). This should give 500-1000 billion cells depending on how many die from the pitch. The OG will be 1.040 - 1.045.

Anyone have experience with clean yeast fermentation of kettle soured wort agree/disagree with this plan?

I have used 2 packs in 6 gallons before with good results. They were rehydrate though.
I personally think you should rehydrate, you are only helping yourself with a fermentation at a lower ph

Back