Quantcast

Special Roast opinions?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I THINK I have found the malt favor I have been looking for in a brown Ale.

Special Roast. The original recipe called for 8oz but I'm thinking of upping this to 12oz. Any worries or comments in using Special Roast for a Brown? Too much of a bump?

The original Recipe is for a Mini Mash

3.3lb Extra Pale LME
1lb 8oz Light DME

1lb 12oz Pale Malt 2 row
8oz Crystal 60L
4oz Chocolate
8oz Special Roast - going to 12oz???

1oz Willamette 60m
1oz Willamette 15min

American Ale 1056 (I'll use Pacman)

The first batch needed 2 months before the flavors started to come out - sort of boring at first but now - WOW !!

Comments?

brewmasterpa

Reaction score
the only thing youre going to get out of adding that must dark roast to a brown ale is an acrid, overly roasty flavor, i would leave it. but you can try it if youd like. it depends on how stout you want your brown ale to taste.

OP
Grinder12000

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Ahh - that was what I was looking for - thanks. It's the only brew I've eve had Special Roast so I have no experience with it.

How about a tad more Chocolate?? instead of the Special Roast?

mmb

"I just got a new pet toaster!"
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
the only thing youre going to get out of adding that must dark roast to a brown ale is an acrid, overly roasty flavor, i would leave it. but you can try it if youd like. it depends on how stout you want your brown ale to taste.
Err... what?

Special Roast is a 50L roast product from Briess malting. It is not by any means a dark, acrid roast. It's much like a big, badder biscuit or what Briess calls "Victory".

Grinder: 12 oz won't be over the top but will be a noticeable difference. Try it, you just might like it.

:mug:

Edit: 12 oz would be about as much as you'd want for that recipe... 12 oz would be about 10% of the grist.

Beerrific

Reaction score
Err... what?

Special Roast is a 50L roast product from Briess malting. It is not by any means a dark, acrid roast. It's much like a big, badder biscuit or what Briess calls "Victory".

Grinder: 12 oz won't be over the top but will be a noticeable difference. Try it, you just might like it.

:mug:

Edit: 12 oz would be about as much as you'd want for that recipe... 12 oz would be about 10% of the grist.
+1

I have done 2 Northern English brown ales, slightly different recipes on both but each had 12 oz. of Special Roast in both. Nothing bad to report.

Do it.

brewmasterpa

Reaction score
ok, so i was thinking black patenet for whatever reason. jackumassum syndrome runnin rampant. hey, uh.....so speacial roast increase of 1/4 lbs might work out ok, but if you were using black patent or other dark grain, yeah what i said earlier. i stand corrected, again.

OP
Grinder12000

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I had Brown Malt in one brew - I know one book says it's a secret ingredient.

hmmmmmmm

Have to look up Brown again. Leaning towards the Special Roast for it's nutty characteristics

I'm putting together a big AHS order for Saturday - lots of planning.