Special Roast Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markhip

Reaction score
Hi all

I was wondering what the equivalent of Special Roast was over here in Europe. I want to do a couple of recipes that called for it. But it’s unavailable over here; I was wondering could it be amber malt?

Any information would be appreciated

Hmm, I've heard of Special B, I wonder if that is the same thing as Special Roast. Special B is awesome, and I believe its from the UK.

FYI, I could be completely wrong, talking from my head not a book.

I think it is closer to aromatic or biscuit malt than special B. However the color is a little darker at 50SRM. Maybe brown malt is a good substitute?
My suggestions are based on malt descriptions and not experience so that them with a grain of salt.
Craig

Co-incidentally enough, Jamil Z spoke briefly to this exact question on this week's podcast.

His answer; Special Roast doesn't really have a substitute :(.

Now, my opinion, since SR is a character grain, if you can't directly replace it you should be able to find another character grain that will add a desirous element to the brew, even if it is not the exact same element that SR brings.

Back