Special B replaced By special Roast..what to expect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iparks81

Reaction score
I've used special B in a few previous Beers, but Never used Special roast. Being interested in trying a new brew using Special Roast I made Up a recipe.

I went to my LHBS with two buckets for two batches of beer. one beer had 12oz Special B one had .25 Oz Special roast.
Well Long story short, the Two got mixed Up ...I now Have 12oz Special roast mixed and crushed with my Dubbel Abbey recipe, when it was supposed to be Special B.....

what can I expect, is this way to much Special roast for a 5.5 gal Batch, I only hope that it is still (partially) true to style...
Recipe Follows.

Recipe: Dubbel Abbey
Brewer: IP
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dubbel
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.33 gal
Estimated OG: 1.079 SG
Estimated Color: 10.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 41.79 %
7 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.79 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.97 %
12.0 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 4.48 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.99 %
0.75 oz Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] (90 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 16.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 20.94 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 13.40 qt of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F

Notes:
------
used Special Roast instead of special B

thx for any input, I'm a Pretty confident brewer, I know In the end that I'm still going to have beer, and that that this is no end of the world situation, but being that I havnt experimented with this malt yet, I'm wondering what to expect and If I can even call this a Belgian Dubbel.

Special Roast and Special B are completely different malts. It's not like replacing biscuit with amber or melanoidin with aromatic. It's toasty and I've heard it described as sour bread. Special B is a dark crystal (158*) malt that adds sweetness and dark frutiness. It won't ruin the beer but I'd recommend you get some dark crystal/D2 candi syrup to make up for Special B's absence. I don't know if it'll taste like a dubbel the way it is.

Yeah, special roast is sort of like an amber malt. Very different stuff. Adding a dark candi syrup as fermentation dies down is a great idea. You can make your own, if you don't want to shell out the money for an overpriced product. Directions are here.

thanks very much! I Knew that Special Roast Lends a flavor all its own,
I will make sure to add some candi syrup to try and bring it back to the Dubbel style.

"Extra Special Roast" is Briess' Version of Special B... Special Roast is, like others have said, entirely different (only like 55L) and is like bready/biscuity/sour...

Back