Special Anniversary IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
Hello,

My father will soon turn 65, and he now enjoys IPAs and many other beer styles, he normally wouldn't drink. That's on me. So I wish to brew an IPA for his birthday, or maybe two. I haven't brewed many IPAs in the past 12-18 months... probably just a couple. I just ordered 2 kegs and will start kegging hoppy beers. So these are my thoughts:

100% Base malt ( I have Bestmalz Pilsner at the moment, but can add some Golden Promise if that would help )
US-05, S-33 or the new Verdant yeast from Lallemand or a combination of these
Sulfate leaning water profile
6-6.5% ABV / 40-55 IBU
Now for hops - I have been tinkering for a while with the following combos:

1. Kettle - Simcoe, Comet and Chinook
Dry hop - Motueka and Nelson Sauvin

2. Kettle - Topaz, Southern Cross and Simcoe
Dry Hop - Motueka, Nectaron ( HORT 4337 ) and Wai-Iti

I do enjoy Motueka and Simcoe, which is why they are present in both combos. I can order Nectaron, Wai-Iti, Topaz, Nelson, Motueka and Southern Cross directly from beerco in Australia, which I have used a few times, and hopefully get my hands on some newer 2020 crops, at least for some of these hops.

If anyone has used similar hop combinations and would like to share their experience, I would appreciate that a lot. I haven't used Nectaron, but I read it should be very nice. I am a bit wary of Nelson due to its dank/catty/gooseberry kind of aroma, which I am maybe a touch sensitive to it, but I do realise that there are big differences amongst hops - crop year, harvest, farm, etc.

Thank you.

Back