Sparkolloid as beer finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walking_Target

Reaction score
In an effort to brew a vegan-friendly beer, I ended up using sparkolloid (marketed for wine) instead of isinglass or gelatin. I usually don't use finings but I've been doing some protein heavy grains.

Is there any real reason not to use this for beer>

Sparkolloid is great for wine.

In beer, I have seen reduced head retention and body between batches, though all are still very drinkable.

Hmm. I'll have to see I guess. I might have to give up on clarity on these higher protein brews - not a big deal for me of course, but some people seem to be turned off by it.

Silly vegetarians...

Woah, you said vegan. I thought this was on a whole different level.

ImageResource.axd

basically the same thing as it's chitosan, isinglass or gelatin...

On the other hand I can use sparkoloid or bentonite.

Oddly enough, i do use irish moss and still have a bit of a problem with these two recipes, they use fairly heavy protein grains so the haze doesn't clear easily.

Did you get full conversion in your mash? Leaving unconverted starches will make for cloudy beer that does not clear very easily.

Chill haze and other protein hazes tend to drop out over time.

Oh yeah, I got great conversion, 78% efficiency.

I needed a quicker turn around so waiting a couple months for the protein to fully settle was out of the question (I do this for all my wines and meads, perfect clarity every time :D)

Biofine, which i believe to be vegetarian / vegan, works like a charm. I use it in conjunction with Whirloc.

Back