sparkling wine/chapagne Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benbigmac

Reaction score
Hey how do you guys deal with the yeast build up at the bottom of sparkling wines and how would you guys go about bottling sparkling/champagne wines? I'm trying to make one of my wines have a high level of carbonation and am just wondering how to go about it (still new to winemaking this is my second batch of wine but 4th brew)

I never had much sediment in the bottles of sparkling wine I've made, just a light dusting on the bottom. I don't use fining agents, I just let the wine clear, rack to the bottling bucket, prime & bottle. I just pour carefully & leave the last little bit in the bottle, just like I do with home brewed beer or cider.

As to bottling, always use the proper bottles. Use champagne bottles, they're designed to withstand the pressure, regular wine bottles are not. I've always used the plastic stoppers & wire cages because they're simple & easy.

I just gently tap the plastic stoppers in with a rubber mallet, put a wire cage over it & use the little twisting tool to twist the wire. It might take you a couple of times to get a feel for how tight to twist, but it really is simple & easy. The twisting tool is essential & will save your fingers from all the twisting.

You can get everything you need from virtually any homebrew supply shop, even order from an online store & have it all delivered to your door. IMHO, bottling with the plastic stoppers & wire cages is easier & quicker than using a wing capper & crown caps.
Regards, GF.

You have to degorge the wines. Look for a post from me a few months ago about this. I have a write up there.

Check out the term "riddling". It involves encouraging the sediment to drop into the neck of the bottle and then freezing the neck so that a plug of ice fills the neck and then opening the bottle so that this plug is projected out of the neck by the pressure of CO2 that has built up behind it. The wine is then topped up and the caps are replaced.

Back