Sparkling Cider Bottling Equipment Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny_M

Reaction score
Hey all,

Some questions regarding what you use to bottle your sparkling cider. I was planning on using European champagne bottles but I hear the corks required are larger than corks for US champagne bottles. This brings up some questions:

• Does anyone here use European champagne bottles?
  • If so where do you get your corks (That is if you use natural cork)?
  • Also do you know if the corks are actually larger?

So far the best I can find is on Midwest Supply, but the corks they sell are for their own US champagne bottles. I would prefer a punted bottle for both the structural aspects and aesthetics. Any help achieving this goal would be greatly appreciated. I'd also be interested in what else is common practice so please feel free to share and thoughts.

Last edited:
I use 500 and 330 ml beer bottles without threads. Cheap, easy to cap and easy to write what it is on the cap with a sharpie. I also use a few 750 ml sparkling wine bottles that can be capped with a beer cap.
If you plan on a very high level of carbonation, champagne bottles will be stronger as far as I know. I prefer a mild carbonation.

Last edited:
I use swing top bottles....zero issues so far [emoji106]

Cheers [emoji111]

I am in the process of making my first cider. I have a 1G batch and fermentation is complete and I would like to bottle carb. I've got some 1L swingtop bottles that I plan to use. What are your recommendations for doing so as I've heard a lot of folks warn about bottle bombs.

For my protocol -- I let bottle carb 7-10days then toss in fridge. Zero issues. My bottle carbed ciders never last more than a few weeks to a month before they are consumed. [emoji12]

Everyone's gotta bit different approach...I'm sure others will chime in.

Cheers [emoji111]
I am in the process of making my first cider. I have a 1G batch and fermentation is complete and I would like to bottle carb. I've got some 1L swingtop bottles that I plan to use. What are your recommendations for doing so as I've heard a lot of folks warn about bottle bombs.

Great, thanks. Do you add any sugars to the batch prior to bottling to aid in the carbonation process?

Great, thanks. Do you add any sugars to the batch prior to bottling to aid in the carbonation process?
I do not...but that's because I like a semi-to-sweet cider...so there's still natural sugars left when I carb.

Cheers [emoji111]

You do not have to if you monitor the SG and bottle it a few points away from fully dry. From what I have read is that it is best to prime bottles with dextrose. Supposedly it creates a finer bubble, and thus a smoother mouth feel. However I would think this would depend more on the liquid than the sugar as carbonation of liquid is physical not chemical (it is just dissolved gas in solution). Another point that I have read which seems to be more logical is that yeast selection can change the properties of the final product, in that they produce different by-products depending on the strain which can affect things like mouth feel. This is likely due to a change in viscosity, which by my reasoning could then affect gas coming out of solution.

Looks like I have found a partial answer to the question of the supposed size difference between US and European champagne bottles. For capping, at least, US champagne bottles you would use a 26mm cap, and for French champagne bottles a 29mm cap is required. That suggests to me cork sizes differ between the two as well. I will update this thread if I find any further information.

Found the full answer. Looks like European champagne bottles take 30mm x 44mm corks champagne corks, where the US ones are 25.5mm x 44mm or at least the ones for sale at Midwest Supply. I found European ones for sale on Presque Isle Wine Cellars. Some other information some may find useful is that they take a special bottle corker to insert (many people suggest the Ferrari corker which can also do wine and bottle caps). They must be inserted with about 1in sticking out and then the wire hood must be added and twisted down.

I am however left with a final question regarding fining.
  • Is it necessary to fine the cider when making a fully sparkling cider?
I understand that most fizzing is a result of nucleation points, so I'm left with this question worrying about any lees present giving tons of nucleation points for the carbonation to come out of solution and overflow the bottle quickly, leaving me with with a near empty bottle of still cider. Or am I just over thinking it?

From what I have read is that it is best to prime bottles with dextrose. Supposedly it creates a finer bubble, and thus a smoother mouth feel. However I would think this would depend more on the liquid than the sugar as carbonation of liquid is physical not chemical (it is just dissolved gas in solution).
I think dextrose is preferable cuz it’s highly fermentable. The bubbles are based on the gas. And it’s all CO2 unless you have a nitro keg

Back