Sparkling Ale Carbonation Level? Seeking Assistance Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
I'm keeging a sparkling ale today that's based on Sam Adam's Sparkling Ale and I am concerned with the carb level Beersmith has for the style (Australian Sparkling Ale).

Beer smith says I should carb at 2.3 v. However, everything I've read regarding sparkling ale's states they have a "high carbonation level". Haven't seen any actual numbers yet.

One forum I stumbled on has a thread where folks have contacted the brewers to get carb levels for each of their brews. Sam Adams stated their beers range from 2.2-2.7.

Anyway, Anyone have any advice on the carb level I should target for this beer?

Is 2.3 really sufficient?

Thanks!

I've found that I don't like really carbonated beers, even when the style says it should be. One of the many great things about kegging is you can change the carbonation level after the fact. Try it at 12 psi. Need more fizz? Turn it up to 15. Just find out what you like and go with it.

I can't help with the carb level (never had the sparkling ale) but was wondering if you would mind sharing your recipe? I owe someone a keg of a Sam Adams Sparkling Ale clone but can't find a complete recipe. How does yours compare to the original?

I can't help with the carb level (never had the sparkling ale) but was wondering if you would mind sharing your recipe? I owe someone a keg of a Sam Adams Sparkling Ale clone but can't find a complete recipe. How does yours compare to the original?

This is my first attempt at it so I have no idea of how it's going to compare. A guy at my LHBS whipped up the recipe for me is Beersmith and the description on the Sam Adams website.

Let me know if you want it but like I said, I have no idea yet if it's good.

12 psi, 38*F for two weeks will give you about 2.5 volumes of CO2. You can tweak it from there as you like.

12 psi, 38*F for two weeks will give you about 2.5 volumes of CO2. You can tweak it from there as you like.

Been thinking about using BierMuncher's Fast force carb method.... 30 psi for 36-48 hours. What volume would that give me at 38*F?

This is my first attempt at it so I have no idea of how it's going to compare. A guy at my LHBS whipped up the recipe for me is Beersmith and the description on the Sam Adams website.

Let me know if you want it but like I said, I have no idea yet if it's good.

I saw the ingredients listed on the Sam Adams website but I'm still not to the point where I can just put something together based on that. If you could share the recipe, that would be great!

I saw the ingredients listed on the Sam Adams website but I'm still not to the point where I can just put something together based on that. If you could share the recipe, that would be great!

I listed the recipe on the thread for this brew here.

Hope it helps!

Latest posts

Back