sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's based off how much grain you use.. If you mash in at 1.25 qt/lb then collect first runnings and see how much you need to get in sparging.

Ok, I'm not at my house right now and can't remember the grain absorption so I'll have to estimate here but I figure you need 6qts. mash in, you should collect real close to a gallon, maybe a tad more. If you are using a smaller pot count on around 1/2 gallon of boil off for an hour. Should be real close to 6qts. needed to sparge

With 4.75 pounds of grain, I'd mash in with 7 quarts of water. The grain should absorb 1/2 gallon of that water, leaving you with about 1.25 gallons of first runnings. You probably want to start your boil with 3 gallons or so, to end up with 2 gallons, so you'll sparge with the difference (1.75 gallons).

You really don't need software for that. I always mash at medium body (1.25 quarts per pound of grain) there is an easy formula here somewhere that will figure grain absorption, and after a few brews you can nail your boil off.

hey yooper what is some easy software where i could do these calctions at my house???

Well, I did those in my head. Generally, you use 1.25-2 quarts of water per pound of grain (I like 1.5 quarts, just in case you miss high or low on temp and need to add some boiling water or some ice) and then sparge up to your boil volume. Grain normally absorbs .125 gallons per pounds of grain.

But there are lots of free calculators online or you could buy something like Beersmith.

Back