Sparging methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkbachman

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my second all grain batch and want to know people's preferred method of sparing. I know some methods may differ given available equipment and brew recipe. I have a 10 gallon Igloo converted mash tun with a false bottom. I will be brewing an imperial porter next, if that adds to the equation at all.

I batch sparge, it's easy and works well with my current setup. If I'm going for an imperial type beer, I usually do two mashes and collect only the first runnings from each to ensure the highest gravity. I'll sparge and collect the second runnings in a seperate vessel and do a smaller version of the same beer.

I fly sparge. I think it is super easy. I built a stand with multiple levels.

I acquired two 10gal igloo coolers. I use one as my MLT and the other as my HLT. I tried a few with batch at first and have found fly to be much easier for me. I don't have a brew stand or anything, just a chair on a table and the floor - three levels :)

Back