Sparge Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excaptn

Reaction score
basic question... or not, what temp water do you use to sparge, and does that temp vary depending on the recipe you are using?

When I batch sparge, I sparge with whatever temperature water I need to bring my grain bed to 168. I don't do a mashout, so my first sparge addition is usually around 200. The second one is usually 170, since the grain bed is already at 168.

I'm confused. I thought mash-out was raising the grain bed temperature to 168 degrees. Am I missing something here?

I'm confused. I thought mash-out was raising the grain bed temperature to 168 degrees. Am I missing something here?

Mash out is adding water to the grainbed/liquor to bring the entire contents to 168 before the sparge. This is more common in fly sparging, but it's done with some batch sparging techniques, especially if they do a mash out and then only one additon of sparge water. After the mash out liquid is added, the first runnings are drawn off.

I don't mash out when I batch sparge. I drain the MLT first. Then, I stir in the first batch sparge water amount (1/2 of the entire sparge amount). That's drained off completely, and the second round of batch sparging is started.

When I fly sparge, I usually mash out, or at least use the HERMS to bring up the temperature of the grainbed.

Ok, got ya. I didn't realize you were draining the MLT first. Thanks for the explanation.

Back