sparge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty3777

Reaction score
I was checking out this extract recipe and wonder why it calls for sparging:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/nrps-blackberry-sage-porter-24347/

I posted a reply to the recipe itself but fear it will be lost in an obscure corner of this board. The question I have comes from the reply to that post:

why would you sparge with an extract brew? I am trying to fighre out AG and my understanding is that sparging is part of the process where the sweet wort is produced. Since this is unnecessary with extract - why the sparge? In fact, what is meant by sparging in this case? (Brewwiki only has definitions for batch and fly sparging - so if I'm missing something basic I tried the search feature :fro:

You are sparging because of the specialty grains:

5 lb Cara-Pils Malt
.5 lb Chocolate Malt
.38 lb Crystal Malt (40°L)
.25 lb Vienna Malt
.13 lb Roasted Barley

You could steep them. This person is opting to do a small mash and sparge instead of steeping the grains.

Personally, even when I steep only the specialty grains, I still give them a kind of mini-sparge, just to rinse out any excess sugars.

Sparging is the process of rinsing additional flavors/sugars from the grains. Works whether you are mashing or steeping.

Back