Sparge question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WileECoyote

Reaction score
I have been wanting to ask this one for a while now.
After steeping grains at 155 for 30 min, can you do the 170 deg sparge for 10 min using that same steeping water to get better sugar/enzyme transfer, kinda like you guys do with an AG batch, except not using new water for the sparge.?

Thanks Again
Cheers :tank:

I have been wanting to ask this one for a while now.
After steeping grains at 155 for 30 min, can you do the 170 deg sparge for 10 min using that same steeping water to get better sugar/enzyme transfer, kinda like you guys do with an AG batch, except not using new water for the sparge.?

If you are talking about steeping specialty grains for an extract batch, all you need to do is steep w/ water under 170 deg F for about 30 min. sparge is unnecessary as there are no sugars or enzymes involved. This step is for color and flavor only. all the sugars are in the extract. If you are talking about partial mash, and if the grist is thin, I don't think a sparge would add anything. Unless of course I'm not understanding your question.

Back