sparge details for improved efficiciency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
I know there are 7.3 million variables involved in the mash that affect efficiency but in regards to the single issue of how long to let the batch sparges sit prior to running off and the length of time to vorlouf and run off the total volumes what is expected??? I am reading sloooooooowwwww on the process. Any impact on the temp reduction of the wort prior to boil kettle stint??? thanks, doc

if you're batch sparging, run-off rate really has no effect on efficiency - run it off as fast as you can without getting a stuck sparge.

And you get let it sit for a few minutes (I do) but some don't even let it sit. Pour it in, stir it up, vorlauf, and run off. I generally add my sparge water, stir well, and let it sit for about 8-10 minutes before vorlaufing. No real scientific reason, though- just what I've always done.

I too just pour in the sparge water, stir, vorlauf and run it off. It does take me about 10 minutes to get the volume of wort out of the grains that I need to get my preboil volume. This is just a physical process of the wort draining out of the grain bed and I could adjust the process so it goes faster and lose a little efficiency but I'm not in a hurry. I use the time to heat my next batch of sparge water or to start heating the first runnings.

GT

Back