Sparge arm suggestion for herms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Any suggestions for a sparge arm when using a HERMS system. I will most probably be using a sabco-like false bottom and dont want to get it stuck with runnoff particles, which might be the case with MoreBeer's sparge arm (http://morebeer.com/view_product/9174//Gravity_Sparge_Arm), or get a hot spot which could result from something similar to the Blichmann autosparge...

Thanks

If you intend on Fly Sparging I suggest you do not use a sparge arm at all. Simply use a length of silicone tubing like the Sabco Brew Magic. The hose floats on a layer of water two inches above the grain bed. Simply adjust the sparge water flow to the output flow out of your mash tun so that you maintain two inches of sparge water above the grain bed. When you reach the desired volume in your boil kettle you are done. I don't know what you mean by hotspot with the blichmann autosparge. All the autosparge does is automatically keep the sparge water at what ever level you set the sparge water over the grain bed. Basically it is an automatic fly sparge device and allieviates you from setting the sparge water valve to matching the output flow from the mash tun. I have no clue what you are talking about with respect to a hot spot or if it even matters.

I've been using plastic-loc for my sparge arm and it works great. It's wide enough to not clog, and it's as adjustable as a piece of tubing. http://www.modularhose.com/ It came with my system, and I like it.

I have been meaning to give that a try. Any problems with the plastic softening up when pushing 175* sparge water through it? I know Pol used to rave about them.

You'll hope it softens up :)

No seriously at room temp those things are a byotch to connect (I didn't get the tool)

McMaster says they are good to 170* but I've used mine to recirc boiling wort to whirlpool in my BK and it hasn't melted or anything.

You'll hope it softens up :)

No seriously at room temp those things are a byotch to connect (I didn't get the tool)

McMaster says they are good to 170* but I've used mine to recirc boiling wort to whirlpool in my BK and it hasn't melted or anything.

Yeah, I had one as a diptube in the keggle, too, and it was holding up just fine. (I didn't like it, but that's another story! It didn't melt or anything.)

My sparge water is never higher than 185 (that's all I can do with my cooler HLT without it warping) and it works fine as a sparge arm at those temps.

I built a copper manifold that spreads the sparge water evenly over the top of the grain bed without splashing.

Sprinkler1.jpg

It is adjustable through the lid also...
Lid12.jpg

I put a float switch on it to keep the water level even with the sparge arm...
DSCN3097.jpg

I built a copper manifold that spreads the sparge water evenly over the top of the grain bed without splashing.

Sprinkler1.jpg

It is adjustable through the lid also...
Lid12.jpg

I put a float switch on it to keep the water level even with the sparge arm...
DSCN3097.jpg

You did a beautiful job but it seems like a lot of time and work for something a simple piece of silicone tubing would do just as well.

Yes, but you can't connect a float switch to silicon tubing and this spreads the water evenly over the top. I tried a single piece of tubing and my temps in the MT were all over the place which meant the liquid was channeling. Since switching to this design my temps are more uniformed throughout the mash.

Yes, but you can't connect a float switch to silicon tubing and this spreads the water evenly over the top. I tried a single piece of tubing and my temps in the MT were all over the place which meant the liquid was channeling. Since switching to this design my temps are more uniformed throughout the mash.

Love the design. That is what I meant by hotspot: liquid channeling.

Thanks for sharing!

Nice sparge arm Monster Mash. I was thinking about adding more outlets like you have.

IMG_1940.jpg

Love the design. That is what I meant by hotspot: liquid channeling.

Thanks for sharing!

I am all about DIYing and if these manifolds work for you, I think thats great so I don't want you to read my comments the wrong way. I love simplicity. I have been able to make the silicone hose laying on top of the 2 inches above the grain bed work well for me. I don't understand, or maybe I am missing it, but if you have two inches of water above the grain bed, how does that cause a channel? When I initally add sparge water I am very careful to prevent a channel but once there is 2 inches of water over the bed how is a channel created?

This is what I came up with for now...kinda stole the idea...thanks :p

Should I put all the outlets towards the exterior or leave it as is.... let me know what you think!

DSC_0055.jpg

Back