Spare CO2 tanks - Carbonate at room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I currently have a 5lb CO2 tank in my kegerator fridge and was just given another 10lb and 20lb tank from a friend who moved away. Question is, anyone know of any issues getting a kick start on carbonating kegs waiting in queue at room temperature? Figure this would reduce the lag time in getting another keg on tap waiting for it to carbonate once in the fridge. Just have to get another regulator.

Just takes longer if it's warm - that's it as far as I know. I'm planning on doing the same thing, but using the same tank instead of different ones

Put it on at 30 psi. When it's kegger time, put it in but don't hook it up until it is chilled. Once it's chilled, burp it, connect & enjoy. Should be very close.

Or just prime.

I just got all the stuff to have a second tank and regulator for just what you are talking about. I'm thinking about getting a reserve air tank, like the ones you fill at the compressor and take to fill tires and putting a valve at the in and out so if I have a leak I wont loose the whole tank of CO2. This could also work using just one setup. It would keep pressure on the waiting kegs and make up for the lack of head space in the kegs. You could also use an empty corny to keep a charge on a full one.

Back