Southern Tier IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtpro

Reaction score
What a great beer. Picked some up at the beverage warehouse the other day, mostly since I had just never tried any Southern Tier until then. I'd just like to give them props on this one, outstanding east coast IPA.

i wasnt impressed with it.. but man do i love their specialty beers. Pumking, and creme brulee were INCREDIBLE!!! i cant wait to try their others. I had the phin and matts and wasnt impressed with that either :(

East coast IPA is wack (except Victory Hop Devil.) Come to San Diego and try our 20+ world-class IPA's on tap.

I think its a weaker version of their Unearthly. Unearthly is probably my favorite Imperial IPA. Great stuff. And their oatmeal stout is really good too.

Southern Tier IPA was my first IPA probably the first craft beer as well. I'd love to try and make it sometime, but have never found a good clone recipe.

They list the IPA as: 7.3% abv • 11.4ºL • India Pale Ale, brewed with 4 varieties of hops and 4 types of malt.

and Unearthly as: 9.5% abv • 15.6ºL • Imperial India Pale Ale, 2-row pale malt, cara-pils malt, red wheat. Kettle hops: chinook, cascade. Hopback: styrian golding. Dryhopped: cascade, centennial, chinook.

It also seems the % abv for these beers jumps all over. The Unearthly is listed as 9.5% on their site description and 11% on their label. I've seen the IPA listed between 6.9 and 7.3%.

I'm assuming the hops and schedule from the Unearthly are good, and aim for 70ish IBUs? For the grain, what would be the 4th variety that Unearthly does not have? What Weyermann wheat would be comparable to the red wheat: pale, dark, caramel, chocolate?

Back