Southern Tier 2XONE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notixx

Reaction score
I live right down the road from Southern Tier Brewery. I'm not sure how far distributed it is yet since it was just released recently, but their 2XONE ale is ASTOUNDING. It's listed as a "Single Varietal Ale" as it is brewed with ONE type of hop and ONE type of malt. I believe I saw someone mention that they believed it to be Mosaic Hops? Unsure.

What I am asking is, does anyone who has tried it wanna take a stab at doing a clone? I really wanna try to clone this but i definitely dont have the expertise or experience to do so (yet)

It's mosaic hops and Cargill special pale malt. Cargill is hard to come by as they typically sell to brewers- but you can find it online from time to time. Depending on your efficiency, you'd need 16-20 lbs for. 5 gallon batch. For hopping I'd do one bittering charge, then burst it in the last 15 minutes with several ounces and do a generous dry hop as well. For yeast I'd probably go with something like wyeast 1272 around 64 degrees. I know that's not really a recipe- but it's somewhere to start.

The brew is decent, but it was pretty annoying needing to go online to find the ingredients of a single malt and single hop brew. Not on the case, not on the six pack holder, and not on the bottle.
Definitely shows the appropriate name of 'Mosaic' hops though as they bring a little bit of everything.

Back