Southern Ontario Gilbertson & Page Group Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would mind checking out grandriverbrewing at 1:30. If that is easier...I can get some of the best red grape juice in the Niagara Region once it comes in season if your sister is in no rush Brad.

I would like to meet up with all of you :mug:

Cheers
BeerCanuck

I may take you up on the juice offer, thanks! I have very specific instructions for the kit for this weekend though because she's coming up to visit Sunday and we have to get it into the fermenter. So I'll be going down to Brewtime regardless, we can do the exchange up in Cambridge so we do it all at once if you want. You'll probably save a fair bit of driving if you don't go to Brewtime first (unless you want to of course :D).

Here it is boys! :D (sorry for the crappy phone pic)

sep_09_group_buy.jpg

So it looks like I can make it to Grand River Brewery at 1:30. Sorry for the late notice Bradsul, let me know if this is ok.

Well it was great meeting all you guys, I think this buy worked out really well. We'll definitely have to do it again but I think it'll take a while for me to get through this stuff. :D

Thanks to everyone for the great beers too, I wish I would have brought more! And big thanks to Rod who I think brought more beer in his car than Grand River Brewing had available for sale! :mug:

Great to meet you guys today! Very nice that we were able to tour the brewery and it's brews. A special thanks again to Brad for all his efforts! :mug:

Paul

great to meet you guys too!
here are a few pics of the exchange and grand river brewing.
i am the worst person alive for names, so if you want to identify yourself for others after i post these pics go ahead.

group buy 001.jpg

group buy 002.jpg

group buy 003.jpg

group buy 004.jpg

group buy 005.jpg

last few pics.
many thanks to bradsul for organizing and measuring out everything for us:mug:
from the beer swap, mine were:
HPA: ed's haus pale ale
RIS: russian imperial stout
E: einbock - watch out overcarbed, open and let sit or use a BIG glass
AM: apfelwein with mango*
L: hard lemonade* *sweetened with lactose

brad : i remember yours is a vienna lager
laymeister: chocolate cherry stout and??

group buy 006.jpg

group buy 007.jpg

group buy 008.jpg

group buy 009.jpg

group buy 010.jpg

Yeah, it was definitely a good time. We'll have to try and get a brew day together and maybe this time I can have some beer for you guys. Thanks again Brad for organizing this, and everyone for the beer. Hopefully this will keep me out of my primary/secondary for a few days!

from the beer swap, mine were:
HPA: ed's haus pale ale
RIS: russian imperial stout
E: einbock - watch out overcarbed, open and let sit or use a BIG glass
AM: apfelwein with mango*
L: hard lemonade* *sweetened with lactose

brad : i remember yours is a vienna lager
laymeister: chocolate cherry stout and??
Thanks for posting that, I put them all in the fridge when I got home and the only one I could remember was the RIS. :D Should keep me going tomorrow during football!

And you're welcome everybody, I had a great time getting things together, can't wait until next time!

Wish I could have joined you it sounds like you had a great time....I'm going to join you next time even it I haven't gone all grain...Kinda like a brewer wannabe

JOhn

It was nice meeting up with Brad in Hamilton at Brew Time and I bet the brewery meet was fun. I had to get all my buckets out to store the grains. Just brewed up some Helles Belles this morning with the pilsner malts I purchased. AG rocks

If the group decides on another meet I would be up for it :mug:

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Rod,

I'm siting here enjoying your Apfelwein with Mango. Didn't notice too much Mango when I first poured it, but as it warms up the Mango really does come through. Very enjoyable. Was this Montrachet yeast or did you say you used something else. I just bottled my first batch (without Mango) today. I'm looking forward to it more than ever.

I also tried your version of Ed's Haus Ale. Very tasty. I can see why it is so popular. What yeast did you say you used? I'll have to do a batch myself.

Cheers,
Paul

used lavlin ec1118 for the apfelwein and nottingham for the hpa.
glad you enjoyed it.
how did you get the great cranberry flavour in your ale?

My wife came home from the market last September and showed me a case of cranberries that she got for $5 since it was the end of the day. One half, about 15 lbs went into the beer (along with a can of Muton's hopped extract) and the other went into some elderberry wine. I crushed the berries first and they stayed in the primary for about 2 months. I bottled it in the spring after it was in the secondary for about 6 months. It seemed extremely bitter at first but has mellowed a bit with age. I like it, but I have a taste for sour beers. Not that this one is soured in the conventional sense by lactic acid.

Paul

ok- thanks
i put cranberry juice in a cider once and it was too sour to drink - but i didn't let it age past 3 months

I know we or at least I spoke about a possible group purchase of hops when we met. I just got off the phone with Scott Labs. We can purchase in the $22 to $38 per pound range in quantities of 11 pounds. This is $1.38 to $2.48 per pound. Probably a good deal if we could get 10 or 11 people together and agree on a couple of variety's.

They are out of Cascade, but have at least Fuggles, Saaz, Haulertau, Northern Brewer and Mount Hood. All are 2007 harvest.

Anyone interested?

Paul

For that kind of price we should probably make a new thread so the other Canadians can see it. That would be worth paying shipping for I imagine.

I'm in Toronto a couple of times a week and could pick it up.

Can we get one of the Mods to change the title of this thread or start a new one?

Paul

Starting a new one would be better I think. Put a post in the group directing to that as well. There's over 40 members now so coming up with enough people to make this worthwhile shouldn't be tough.

Hey guys, I drank all of your beverages with in a day or two but never commented on how much I enjoyed them.

Rod, quite a variety and all of them were great. My favourite was the Einbock, I may have to get that recipe from you. It was also nice to try someone elses EW Pale ale, yours was much clearer than mine.

Brad, the vienna lager was really nice. I've never had one before and I found the vienna malt sweetness to be very interesting.

Paul, I really enjoyed the chocolate cherry stout. I've never been able to make a stout that didn't have a kind of "sweet homebrew thing" going on. Yours didn't have that. Any advice for me? What yeast did you use?

Thanks again for the free beer everyone, hopefully I can return the favour soon.

Thanks for reminding me brucepepper, I haven't commented either. :eek:

rod those beers were all great, and the apfelwein and lemonade were excellent too! I loved the flavour of the Einbock and the RIS was right up my alley - excellent roasted flavour, just enough residual sweetness and the bitterness balanced everything well. It was nice to finally try EdWorts Pale Ale as well, I may have to make some of that soon since I've newly discovered an enjoyment of cascades.

I should get your recipe for the lemonade because my sister drank most of it (I didn't get much more than a taste) and wants me to make her some.

LayMeister I don't know what to say about that cranberry ale other than 'wow'. :D I don't care for fruit beers that much but this one was so refreshing that the glass didn't last long! It went great with the football food I was enjoying along with it. The stout was excellent too, though in all honesty I couldn't pick the cherry flavours out (this was probably pallete fatigue though, after getting through all of rod's stuff I was pretty :drunk:).

Thanks for the great beers guys!

glad you guys liked them.
i really enjoyed the beers i got as well
brads vienna lager is on my to do list.
paul i would like to try the cranberry ale but 15 lbs of cranberries is to much$$ i will probably try pure cranberry juice and/or frozen concentrate.
i would like the recipe for the choc/cherry stout as well
thanks for the great beers and hope we can all meet up again:mug:

i am not on facebook - is there something in the canadian brewers group - i would like to get in on another buy.

Rod I thought you were part of it. The SOB's are doing a big teach a friend to brew day Nov 7 at amsterdam in toronto. Last I heard they might try and sneak in a group buy then too. I sent out an email to the group yesterday to find out if its going to happen. If it is I will post a link here. If you can't make it to Amsterdam I will more than likely have space to bring it to my place again.

thanks john i will watch for updates - i would like to get to amsterdam brewery since we missed it last year.

Here is the link to the order spreadsheet. Unfortunately they are only planning on doing Full sacks of grain at this buy, worried about splitting up grain on that day with everything else that is going on. Too bad I was planning on getting some specialty grain this time.

Rod if you pm me your email address (for the life of me I can't find it, it must be on the other computer) I can talk to the powers that be and get you on the SOB mailing list. The group has been really good about keeping the mail to a minimum and beer related.

john - i just added my order - i would be happy to split any of my order with you. - i can bring a scale and foodsaver bags and we could divy it up at your place after the meet
rod

Back