south beach diet and no beer for 1 week and counting :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not fun.

I lost 40 pounds since the beginning of December and I was only drinking once per week during that time. Not fun. I was/am happy when I reached my weight goal and I could drink beer more liberally again.

I never thought that I'd read the words "South Beach Diet" on a homebrew forum. That's wrong on so many levels. I'm not ragging on you. I really feel for you. I wish you the best so that you may one day put all of this pain and horribleness behind you.

I came to the realization long ago that I love beer and food way too much to ever be able to do either with any type of moderation. My four major food groups are beer, bread, cheese, and meat. Weighing 300 pounds is not an option, either, so something had to give. I resigned myself to the fact that lots of running and cycling are the price of my gluttony.

The point of all this is that if you can up the activity level a little, then you won't have to decrease the beer level so much. Good luck.

Meh, I decided that I would just eat salads for dinner several nights a week and work out intensely 3-4 days a week, rather than give up beer,

Besides, haven't you heard?

Beer Belly Myth: Study Finds Beer Not Linked to Big Gut

We don't have to worry..The gut I got was just becasue I quit smoking last year, not anything to do with my hobby. :D

If this guy can have "six pack abs" I figure so can I;

six-pack-tattoo.jpg

Good luck dude!! :mug:

Try my beer drinkers diet. No hard carbs (wheat,rice,corn or especially sugar products). Just meats and veggies and drink ALL the beer you want. I lose 2 pounds a week this way.

Diets don't work because people really don't know what they are.

Its not something you 'go on' or 'deviate from' it is the total picture of what goes in the system. Holding back from things you enjoy isn't a sustainable choice. If you love lots of beer, ice cream and ribs, just adjust either the frequency of incidence or your output.

Best way to lose weight... change your eating habits. Chew absurdly slow. We often eat well after we are full because it take the body so long to send a message. Enjoy the meal. Start off with a casual app and have conversation with the family. Take small portions and eat slowly. You'll find yourself satasfied with less going in.

But for the love of god, DON'T PASS ON THE BEER!

Its not something you 'go on' or 'deviate from' it is the total picture of what goes in the system. Holding back from things you enjoy isn't a sustainable choice. If you love lots of beer, ice cream and ribs, just adjust either the frequency of incidence or your output.

+1000

just like a good beer, your diet (hell your whole lifestyle) should be a balance of all things. totally cutting something will cause you to eventually fall and usually you'll go back to your old habits at an even greater frequency. moderation in all things.

Best way to lose weight... change your eating habits. Chew absurdly slow. We often eat well after we are full because it take the body so long to send a message. Enjoy the meal. Start off with a casual app and have conversation with the family. Take small portions and eat slowly. You'll find yourself satasfied with less going in.

Yep that is correct!

I stay away from any diet with a name. It is all about eating right and leading a healthy lifestyle. That being said, maintaining your current body vs losing excess body fat are two very different things. There are certainly ways to lose fat (i said "fat" not "weight") better than others and eliminating certain things from your diet for a period of time will help you see better results. Consuming 1000 calories of beer vs consuming 1000 calories of chicken breast certainly will have vastly different effects on fat loss.

Anyhow, I suppose this is the wrong website for me to get too in depth on this topic. However fitness nutrition is a subject I am very passionate about. (kinda an odd passion for someone who loves beer so much! lol)

beer beer beer beer beer
beer beer beer beer beer
beer beer beer beer beer
beer beer beer beer beer
beer beer beer beer beer

Starting second week of the south beach diet so I've been beer free for a week. Man, I'll be glad when it's over.

With that attitude you might as well quit now and save the $$ and effort, for you will end up right back where you are now. A diet is an easy to follow instruction list for failure. A lifestyle change is what will lead to a healthier body.

With that attitude you might as well quit now and save the $$ and effort, for you will end up right back where you are now. A diet is an easy to follow instruction list for failure. A lifestyle change is what will lead to a healthier body.

Right on. I did the South Beach thing several years ago and lost a ton of weight (~30 pounds in 6 months) until I started to let a few carbs back into my diet then it came back with a vengeance. I've since learned balance and that I just can't eat a lot of starchy carbs. Minimal potatoes, no white rice, no pasta, no processed sugar and ABSOLUTELY no high fructose corn syrup (maybe a Dr. Pepper once a month :D).

Try my beer drinkers diet. No hard carbs (wheat,rice,corn or especially sugar products). Just meats and veggies and drink ALL the beer you want. I lose 2 pounds a week this way.

I haven't been loosing at that pace, but that pretty much describes my diet. I find that a beer 30 minutes or so before dinner really helps me cut back on how much I eat.

Like a lot of people have said, diets dont work, flat out. You have to change something in your life style that you can stick with permanently, not just for a little while. If you diet hard core for a few months the only thing that thats going to happen is you starving your body of nutrients and when you are done you body will put that weight back on faster than you can believe. One of the best things I have read on this forum related to loosing weight and drinking beer is to set yourself a rule.

You can only drink beer on the days you exercise, doesnt have to be a 20 mile jog, or a full workout. But ride a bike for 20 mins, or take a quick jog, jump rope, there are a million things to do everyday that you can sustain without going crazy.

If you are really worried about your weight, lower your beer consumption, eat a little more healthy, no fast food or soda (the two worst things out there) but for the love of god, keep drinking beer or you will go crazy.

South Beach Diet? Wuss.
I'm on day 3 of a 5 day fast. Nothing but lemon juice, grade B maple syrup and RO water. I do it 4 times a year. And I always feel awesome afterwards.
Until I quit smoking last March, I was eating a fairly healthy diet. But without that constant appetite supressor, I started eating horribly. And my energy level went way down and I got lazy.
Now I'm excersizing again. I'm committed to being able to bike to work (10 mi each way) every day by the end of the summer. And if I don't at least walk briskly for 20 minutes first, I have no beer.
Fastest I've ever broken in a new pair of boots. :)

Starting second week of the south beach diet so I've been beer free for a week. Man, I'll be glad when it's over.

What he said. Once it's OVER you'll just go back to your old ways and march right back to where you were. Waste of time and misery. There are a thousand Diets for a reason.
Lisfestyle change is the only thing that will help longterm.

I went from 200 to 184 pertty quickly after knocking off the beer for a while. Plus my back mended. Plus I got deployed. Plus I ate more vegetables. Plus I --- you get the idea.

The first part of the word diet is DIE!

I don't have 6 pack abs, I have the full keg, so why do I need to change anything.

Now to be truthful. I need to lose some weight and get in better shape. I am not going to give up beer to do this, so when I finally get the motivation to start I will ensure that my plan does not involve giving up beer.

South Beach Diet? Wuss.
I'm on day 3 of a 5 day fast. Nothing but lemon juice, grade B maple syrup and RO water. I do it 4 times a year. And I always feel awesome afterwards.
:)

I dont know how you could feel awesome after that. It sounds like hell. I agree with everything you said except your crazy fasting. That has got to hurt the body. Biking 10 mi to work and walking 20 mins a day, good job man thats amazing, but lay off the fasting, that **** isnt good for you.

but lay off the fasting, that **** isnt good for you.

It's kinda hard to argue with results, though. :)
Fasting has been around for thousands of years. Muslims fast annually for a month and they still outnumber the rest of us.
It's all about giving your body the chance to get rid of all the toxins that build up from living in an industrialized world. And since I'm a mechanic, I'm exposed to more than my fair share.
And an added bonus is I know I'd have no problem surviving a natural disaster or being lost in the wilderness for a week without food.
Your body will adapt to just about anything. I should know. I survived for 3.5 years on 1 free meal/day, Natural Light and 50%/50% 7-Eleven slushy/rotgut vodka.

Running, lots of running, hitting a heavy bag, more running, yoga, running around wearing an IBA, squat lunges, more running - this helps too.

Muslims fast annually for a month and they still outnumber the rest of us.

The fasting is broken each day at sunset with an olive, then a modest meal. The daily fast only runs from dawn until dusk.

I totally agree, I am a fireman and every third day eat dinner with a table full of six other guys. I have realized that there are some people that have to finish everything in front of them on their plate whether they are full or not. Its all about moderation and not trying to stuff yourself. Just eat the foods you normally would but not as much and you will feel alot better afterward and not bloated and tired but more energetic and you will actually lose weight the right way.

South Beach Diet? Wuss.
Until I quit smoking last March, I was eating a fairly healthy diet. But without that constant appetite supressor, I started eating horribly. And my energy level went way down and I got lazy.
Now I'm excersizing again. I'm committed to being able to bike to work (10 mi each way) every day by the end of the summer. And if I don't at least walk briskly for 20 minutes first, I have no beer.
Fastest I've ever broken in a new pair of boots. :)

Wait a minute, eating maple syrup and drinking only lemon juice with water is just as gimmicky as the South Beach Diet. The only difference from being a wuss is that your fasting diet doesn't have a name, yet! Here is a helpful tip. Any way to reduce your daily calorie intake will help you lose weight so why limit yourself to lemon juice and sugary maple syrup. Just eat less of the things you normally eat and you won't have the crazy cravings.

Wait a minute, eating maple syrup and drinking only lemon juice with water is just as gimmicky as the South Beach Diet. The only difference from being a wuss is that your fasting diet doesn't have a name, yet!

Sure it does. It's called the Master Cleanse.

Here is a helpful tip. Any way to reduce your daily calorie intake will help you lose weight so why limit yourself to lemon juice and sugary maple syrup. Just eat less of the things you normally eat and you won't have the crazy cravings.

I don't do it to lose weight. And I typically only lose a few lb, due to H2O retention. I do it to flush out my system.
I'm overweight, but not worried about it.
I just need to get back to what my eating habits were before I quit smoking. And what my activity level was when I lived in a city you don't need a car in.

However fitness nutrition is a subject I am very passionate about. (kinda an odd passion for someone who loves beer so much! lol)

my old personal trainer was a huge beer drinker.. we talked craft brews all the time.. he played guitar too, kinda cool.

I dont diet just because I know I wouldnt be able to do it. I just try to stay active and moderate my eating. I drink my fair share of beer and dont worry about what I eat except for fast food and pop. What I do eat i try (TRY) to moderate sometimes its just impossible because the food is just to good, like moms cooking. But then again I know if I tried to diet I would fail, so I guess its all about consumption, lower that, eat healthy and you would be amazed how much weight a person could loose. Switch out a lunch once or twice a week for a salad (with little dressing, not a ton) and fruit. Its amazing how it can help. My dad lost SOOOO much weight on that method along. two lunched and two dinners a week (on different days). He still got nice and full but it was nothing but healthy good food. And the rest of the week he just ate for the most part what he wanted. When he was at his target weight he backed off on the salads and just ate healthy, he hasn't put a pound on since then. Just watch you health guys, its amazing how bad some "good" diets are for you. My mom has a PhD in nutrition so I got this crap pounded into my head.

I post this info whenever I see a thread like this. I got this book called "Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle". It is perhaps the best book on fitness I ever read. I managed to lose roughly 40 lbs. I got lax over the last year but since quitting ciggs I am back on it. I have done diets, I did body for life and Tom Venuto's book was by far the most informative and comprehensive. The most interesting part about it was how I learned to eat better, and get the desired results from my workout. It is not a BS lose weight quick tactic. In fact he tells how it is optimum to lose roughly 2-3 lbs per week. I can still drink plenty of homebrews. I read the ingredients of everything I buy when I go grocery shopping. Here is the link and good luck to the new and improved you.

Burn the Fat Video Review

I lost about 40 lbs between December and April. Some of it was exercise but mostly it was potion control. Plus I bought the Eat This Not That books to help me make better choices at the grocery store.

The biggest change I've noticed though is since I rarely drink soda or eat chips any more my chronic heartburn isn't nearly as bad. I've gone from taking my prilosec every day to taking it twice a week.

I post this info whenever I see a thread like this. I got this book called "Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle". It is perhaps the best book on fitness I ever read. I managed to lose roughly 40 lbs. I got lax over the last year but since quitting ciggs I am back on it. I have done diets, I did body for life and Tom Venuto's book was by far the most informative and comprehensive. The most interesting part about it was how I learned to eat better, and get the desired results from my workout. It is not a BS lose weight quick tactic. In fact he tells how it is optimum to lose roughly 2-3 lbs per week. I can still drink plenty of homebrews. I read the ingredients of everything I buy when I go grocery shopping. Here is the link and good luck to the new and improved you.

Burn the Fat Video Review

Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle is an AWESOME fitness book! It very clearly explains the non-gimmicky way of losing weight most efficiently. If I could only recommend one book to someone to teach them the best way to lose weight, that would be the book.

Granted it is geared more towards people who want to get in great shape that it is towards a casual dieter who isn't as concerned about body composition. Regardless, everyone can take things away from this book to help them reach their fitness goals.

Tom Venuto is one of my favorite fitness experts. I always say, if you want to learn how to burn fat - just ask a body builder. After all, bodybuilding is basically just competitive dieting.

Back