sous vide brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merleti

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After spending time effort and the same amount of money to make a electric brewing system as the sous vide system my friend bought for cooking I'm going drinking

Don't understand. You say you are using a sous vide cooking machine for brewing (mashing?). Sounds interesting.

You can. It's seems to be the same as making your own. Heater pump temperature controller. The unit my friend has comes in an all in one unit, Stainless Steel element and the temperature is +- .1 deg at 140 deg. The element is 1100 watts so you would need to stay under a 6 gal batch size. Unit cost $200

I did it recently (new york strips) with my PID controlled HLT. It worked awesome! I double vacuum bagged them as i'm sure meat juice in my brew system would be a bad thing! I wan't to play with a little more sous vide cooking in the brewery, but can see myself buying one of those controllers eventually to make things much easier. Let us know how your rib comes out if you do it.

I make steaks in my kettle quite often, once you start "brewing" them it's hard to got back.

Throw all the seasoning plus some butter in the bag, seal it, throw it into the water at 132 degrees for an hour or whenever guests show up. Pan fry on a cast iron skillet for a min on each side for caramelization. Instant party favorite! (after beer)

There's a good book out with a Sous vide section called the Modernist Cuisine. I had a friend find a down loaded version of it on line.

I have a friend that found it for free online. I'm sure you could search for it. There are two versions one for at home and a professional ver.

I'm going to use my RIMS controller to make a water bath in a plastic container (with a different element, temperature sensor and pump) for cheesemaking, which often needs to hold the culturing milk at around 100f. It'd also work well for yogurt, and maybe even bread rising. It could obviously also work as a sous-vide if I use an element big enough to hold higher temperatures. Or I could use the RIMS plus cooler mash tun as a larger sous-vide.

But since I don't eat much meat, and my wife is pescetarian, we don't have as much call for sous-vide cooking as many of you.

I'm also using a copy of my RIMS controller at work to control a cheap lab oven for baking HDPE millimeter-wave antireflection coatings onto cryostat windows.

Latest posts

Back